ASUS ROG G551JM vs. Lenovo y50-70

cazetoG

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Hello. I'm looking to get a new laptop, which will be my main computer. I want to bring it to school, and also play games on it. My budget is around 1200-1300$.
Now, I don't know which laptop is the best one since they have similar specs - i'll list the specs below with the lowest price available in my country.

ASUS ROG G551JM

Core i7 4710HQ / 2.5 GHz / 3.5 boost
8 GB RAM
256 SSD HDD
Nvidia GeForce 860M 2 GB RAM
DVD SUPERMULTI DRIVE
Price: 1328$

Lenovo Y50-70
8 GB RAM
256 SSD HDD
Nvidia GeForce 860M 2 GB RAM
No DVD drive
Price: 1204$

Now the question is, is the ASUS worth the 100$ it costs more than the lenovo?
The specs on these two computers are identical except the ASUS has a DVD drive.

Solution
Hello cazetoG

Since you are planning to use the laptop for schooling as well as games, a computer with an integrated DVD drive (ASUS in this case) would receive more votes as compared to the one without it.

When there is a need, you wouldn't want to go through the hassle of asking people if they have a laptop with DVD drive so you can copy the data from an optical media (CD/DVD) to their hard disk drive, and then going through the process of copying the data to a USB drive from there to transfer it to your computer.

If you can eliminate such a trouble by paying additional $100, it is not a bad deal all, and therefore you should go for ASUS.

Hope this helps you pick the best laptop according to your needs, and you can, of course...
Hello cazetoG

Since you are planning to use the laptop for schooling as well as games, a computer with an integrated DVD drive (ASUS in this case) would receive more votes as compared to the one without it.

When there is a need, you wouldn't want to go through the hassle of asking people if they have a laptop with DVD drive so you can copy the data from an optical media (CD/DVD) to their hard disk drive, and then going through the process of copying the data to a USB drive from there to transfer it to your computer.

If you can eliminate such a trouble by paying additional $100, it is not a bad deal all, and therefore you should go for ASUS.

Hope this helps you pick the best laptop according to your needs, and you can, of course, reply back any time to get more information. :)

Good Luck!!

Solution

cazetoG

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
I bought the Lenovo FHD Y50 with 256 GB SSD drive. I bought it because the ASUS suddenly increased it's price allover in my country - Denmark. I can't complain about the Lenovo at all. Since these two computer's share the same specs, there is no perfomance difference at all. The only thing that I can really put a finger on is the Y50's display - people say it's bad, but in reality it's not too bad - sure the IPS panel screens are better overall, this Y50 display is alright. I would say that if you don't know anything about screen panels and screen's in general, you wouldn't be able to see a difference if you compare a Y50 to any other.
Now as the cooling goes.
My Y50 stands around 45 Celcius when it's in normal use such as webbrowsing, word, watching a movie - when I play demanding games it's running up to 79-82C. So the cooling isn't bad, and the only spots getting warm is the "WASD" key area.

With the SSD harddrive my computer power up in only 10-12 seconds!

The computer is extremely quiet when doing everyday tasks, but you can hear it picking up when you do demanding stuff, but not to an annoying level at all.

I hope I could help someone else looking for information as I was.
Have a good day.

Cheers - Simon

HjorthP_Official

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
Since you have had the Lenovo for a couple of months now, what is your overall position regards it?
i have the possibility to buy the new edition:
Lenovo Y50-70
16 GB RAM
256 SSD HDD
Nvidia GeForce 860M 4GB RAM
UHD/4K Screen
is it the best on the market?

Kind Regards
- Someone from Aalborg