Solved! Asus ROG GL553VE keyboard doesn't work except for ON/OFF key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2019
Hi there,

I'm using an Asus ROG GL553VE for just over a year.

I use it with an external USB keyboard and USB mouse, and therefore didn't notice that the laptop keyboard isn't working at all - no backlight, nothing, except for the ON/OFF key (top right corner).

The integrated keyboard doesn't work in BIOS either. I can only enter the BIOS by pressing F2 on my external USB keyboard.

I have opened the laptop, removed the DVD drive, HDD drive and unplugged all (ribbon) cables so that I could remove the main board. I have the reassembled the laptop. Nothing changed...

I therefore expect that either the keyboard or the HW driving it on the main board is dead. Any advice on how to ascertain whether the problem is on the keyboard or on the main board? Any diagnostic tool available?

Tx

Solution
Did you use a third party driver updater like driver booster in windows or similar? This might install a false firmware to the keyboard. "Rollback" or backupped drivers in this software could get you the original firmware back.

Did you flash the latest BIOS on the laptop? version 307
Did you use a third party driver updater like driver booster in windows or similar? This might install a false firmware to the keyboard. "Rollback" or backupped drivers in this software could get you the original firmware back.

Did you flash the latest BIOS on the laptop? version 307

Solution
Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

I flashed the latest BIOS today using the ASUS tool - to no avail.

I do not recall using IObit Driver Booster on this specific laptop either, but if you can tell me how to recover the keyboard FW - I wasn't aware of the existence of keyboard Firmware - then I can try that as well.

Mar 7, 2019
One more question: if the integrated keyboard doesn't work in the BIOS, then I guess (Windows) drivers cannot be a cause of my problem can they? So the only possible option is firmware corruption or BIOS. BIOS has already been upgraded to the latest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.