ASUS ROG Laptop SSHD Issues - Failing to Boot into Windows

Piode

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
Hello,

I am currently having some issues wit my laptop - an ASUS RoG G551JW. It runs Windows 10 and features a 2.5 inch SATA SSHD. The operating system was installed on the 128GB SSD partition, while the other 2 HDD partitions I used for storage.

Basically, yesterday it suddenly crashed with a blue screen of death. The error message was something like 'critical <something> missing'. After that, it refused to boot into windows, instead going straight to 'Aptio Setup Utility'. After a bit of research, I decided my best bet was to insert my Windows 10 install DVD. From there, I managed to backup all my files from the two 500GB HDD partitions - but there was no sign of the 128GB SSD partition on which the operating system was installed. I figured that the SSD partition had somehow been destroyed. As such, having backed up everything I could, I decided to wipe everything and reinstall windows on the HDD. I did this successfully and everything was good - I may have been lacking a bit of SSD space, but I wasn't too fussed. Today, however, after a full day of windows running perfectly fine, it turned off unexpectedly, after which it failed to load windows - it got stuck at the 'Asus Republic of Gamers' logo that appears when you first turn on the laptop, with only an endlessly spinning icon appearing below it. After turning it on and off numerous times, I noticed various slight alterations to the laptop's actions - while mainly the logo and spinning circle appeared, sometimes the screen would stay completely blank, while once or twice it would say something like 'loading system repair', but this achieved nothing. Eventually, and I have no idea how, the laptop booted up into windows, which is where I am right now. It seems like something isn't right though, and it certainly isn't ideal if I need to go through this every day. My research has led me to suspect it's a problem with the laptop's SSHD, in which case I can easily buy a new one and replace it myself. But my research also suggested it could be a motherboard problem. I'd rather not buy a replacement HDD if that isn't the issue. If anyone has any insight into which issue, if either, is more likely, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Solution
The only way to find out exactly what part is failing is to test it with a known good replacement. A hard drive is a lot cheaper than a motherboard and is a lot easier to replace. Heck, you can buy a cheap used drive to test with, and use it as a backup drive when you are done.
The only way to find out exactly what part is failing is to test it with a known good replacement. A hard drive is a lot cheaper than a motherboard and is a lot easier to replace. Heck, you can buy a cheap used drive to test with, and use it as a backup drive when you are done.

Solution