Question Asus TUF FX505 - No power except keyboard backlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statci-X

Honorable
Oct 9, 2015
Good Day All

I own an Asus TUF FX505 gaming laptop two nights ago my laptop turned on showed a some writing on a black screen and the completely dead except for the keyboard backlight that stays on.

The backlight stayed on probably the whole night until the battery was drained (i assume) but once i plugged in the AC cable the keyboard backlight turned on again.

I checked everything i possibly can (removed SSD/Ram), removed CMOS battery and held down the power button for 40 seconds and replaced but no luck.

There is no leds that show any indication the mainboard is getting power, no battery led, power on led or charging led.

I took the laptop to a local PC shop, and they can’t find any damage to the mainboard, but they said they believe the mainboard has "popped".

Any advice to try would be awesome or even if someone has pointers on where to start checking the board (i can maybe find someone who is able to repair at mainboard level if a small component is maybe the issue)

Reactions: Namedoesnotfi
Do you see anything at all on the screen during startup? Can you get into the BIOS? From what you described I would agree the motherboard is damaged. I suspect something simple in the motherboard power supply. The problem is it is very difficult to get schematics and without schematics is if very difficult to troubleshoot. Could also be the power on/off switch. Clarity--is the keyboard backlight on now?

Statci-X

Honorable
Oct 9, 2015
Do you see anything at all on the screen during startup? Can you get into the BIOS? From what you described I would agree the motherboard is damaged. I suspect something simple in the motherboard power supply. The problem is it is very difficult to get schematics and without schematics is if very difficult to troubleshoot. Could also be the power on/off switch. Clarity--is the keyboard backlight on now?

Thank you for the reply

I have been searching for the schematics everywhere and only found one Indonesia site that looks like you can download it from there but ill still have to check how legit it really is.

Watched way too much console repair videos on YouTube so schematics was the first thing i started looking for when i was told it may be the motherboard.

Unfortunately the laptop cant start up at all, its completely dead with no signs of life at all

As mentioned only once plug-in the AC cable the keyboard backlight immediately turns on and stays on until you unplug the ac again (initially it stayed on without AC plug-in, but i believe that was due the battery 🔋 that had its charge still) i have not check if the battery can charge again.

No boot up, no other leds that turn on and not even a fan thats starts spinning. . . I contacted a company that only works on motherboard repairs yesterday and will be taking the laptop in for them to asses

Statci-X

Honorable
Oct 9, 2015
Sure sounds like the power supply except why does the BL come on? What powers it? Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks will definitely give feedback once i have an idea. Currently hoping my insurance pays out the claim then i wont have to worry about repairs, we will seen what they have to say.

If they pay out and do not request that i return the damaged unit ill definitely be taking the laptop to the repair center.

Status
Not open for further replies.