Asus updating & storage problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie13

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I have an Asus Zenpad. I have moved all the apps I can onto the SD card which is nearly empty but when something needs updating it says I have to free up space. Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to solve it? Thanks

Solution
It doesn't sound like there is any problem. Just that the device is running as it should. Most Android devices, while will allow for the use of an SD card from some storage, it will not allow it for all things. A card is set as "External" storage. However, it would need to be set as "Internal" storage to run most any app off of it. Now you can move photos, videos, music, etc. to the card now. With out any changes made. However you would need the following to change it to "Internal", that is "if" your device can make that change. Not all can.

First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a...
It doesn't sound like there is any problem. Just that the device is running as it should. Most Android devices, while will allow for the use of an SD card from some storage, it will not allow it for all things. A card is set as "External" storage. However, it would need to be set as "Internal" storage to run most any app off of it. Now you can move photos, videos, music, etc. to the card now. With out any changes made. However you would need the following to change it to "Internal", that is "if" your device can make that change. Not all can.

First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your tablet, or they don't work for you, then you have a tablet that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the tablet, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution
Mar 16, 2018
I spoke with Asus tech support today, and the rep escalated my issue, though he swore that there was something wrong with my brand-new device, but escalated the issue, anyway.

Hours later, I received this response, via email:

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.
My name is Daniel M. and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Adoptable Storage (APPS2SD) is not a feature made available for our ZenPads."

So, there you go. They don't want you to have it, since this feature is available on many other, even older tablets.

Needless to say, mine will be returned..

May 28, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.