Asus UX305FA wifi disabled

fleuk

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
Hi, my UX305FA (Win10) has this red X on its Wi-Fi symbol, it saids "Not connected - No connections are available" when mouse over. The wi-fi toggle in NETWORK & INTERNET settings always stay off. And the wifi device option is grey-out in the Airplane mode page. Network adaptor is enabled correctly in Device Manager. It seems like the wifi is disabled by some kind of hardware switch.

I have try booting into Ubuntu (by usb) to confirm. Problem remains, and the wifi status is "Wi-Fi is disabled by hardware switch" .

Does anyone know if there is any hardware Fn key on this laptop to enable the wifi? There is none that I can find. The only network related Fn key is the airplane mode Fn+F2.

Any suggestion?

Solution
I have same issue with my Asus UX305. Airplane mode is off, WiFi toggle switch is on off, I can not move it to ON as it goes back to off.

Using Win10, it worked on Win 10 for 2 weeks and then started this issue.
Tried to revert back to Win8 , still same issue. It got resolved itself on WIn8 and when again upgraded, it is again same.
No conflict in device manager.
Tried installing drivers from Asus web site, no go.
Tried installing latest intel drivers still no go.

- Now I will try to install OS on external HDD and will isolate if it is driver / software / OS issue or a Hardware issue. Will keep you posted.
Hi,

First make sure that "Airplane mode" is off because that turns off your wireless device and bluetooth. Press "fn + F2" and make sure that the light indicator for airplane mode is off. Once it's off try connecting to your wireless network again. If these steps doesn't fix the issue try to uninstall/reinstall the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Uninstall it then reboot your laptop that should reinstall the driver automatically.

fleuk

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015

Yes, airplane mode is off. And I have uninstalled and installed the driver. Same problem.
The laptop cannot detect any SSID at all (my router had no problem, as my other devices can connect without problem).
What make me think there is a hard swith is that I cannot toggle the wifi button in setting, it jump back to "off" right away. Another hint is the wifi status in Linux.

Stupid64

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
I have same issue with my Asus UX305. Airplane mode is off, WiFi toggle switch is on off, I can not move it to ON as it goes back to off.

Using Win10, it worked on Win 10 for 2 weeks and then started this issue.
Tried to revert back to Win8 , still same issue. It got resolved itself on WIn8 and when again upgraded, it is again same.
No conflict in device manager.
Tried installing drivers from Asus web site, no go.
Tried installing latest intel drivers still no go.

- Now I will try to install OS on external HDD and will isolate if it is driver / software / OS issue or a Hardware issue. Will keep you posted.

Solution

fleuk

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
@stupid64
Hope you find the solution. I brought mine to service center and they exchange the wifi hardware. Just when I thought it was fixed, the wifi went dead again. And had been intermittently enabled/disabled. :(

Stupid64

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Stupid64

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
It took some time to get it all sorted. After installation it was isolated as hardware issue. I also sent it to get WiFi part replaced and it is working now for a week. I upgraded it to Win10 and all work fine. Fingers crossed :)