Asus ux501j freezes during login after water spill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2018
About 2 weeks ago I spilled water on my laptop keyboard (it's an asus ux501), I unplugged everything, shut it off and waited a couple of days for it to dry out and for some reason my charger stopped working too. At first the screen wouldn't turn on but I eventually got it working by cleaning the motherboard but now it'll freeze when I try to log in but it will run fine in safe mode. The fans are also louder than normal and I also noticed that the heat sink gets fairly warm immediately after it turns on, but that's not my main concern right now. My keyboard, battery and trackpad are messed up so I'll probably have to replace those but ssd and ram seem to be fine and I didn't notice any noticeable damage on the motherboard other than the residue caused by the water. Does anyone have any idea what parts could be the problem?

Thanks,

Solution
use isoprophyl alcohol 90% or more and soft toothbrush and gently brush off all corrosion if you see it. Alcohol also helps get rid of remaining liquid if there is any. Fans going full speed can be sign of blown sensor on the motherboard but one which would not prevent booting.
You could try opening keyboard by removing keys and cleaning everything out (very time consuming), there is tutorials on youtube. Same thing with trackpad.
Try running it without battery do you see this freezing happening without it?

Another thing to try is remove keyboard and use usb external keyboard, do you get any freezing with this? Then remove trackpad and try again, this way you can see what component is causing it.
A lot of things can be the problem, you had a water spill on the computer and you did not fix the keyboard and battery, there is damage to the system. You can take it all apart, including the heatsink, RAM, make sure everything is clean, apply new thermal paste and put it back together. If it still crashes, and a new keyboard and battery did not help, nor did running without the battery, need a new motherboard. You may not be able to actually see the damage to it for it not to work.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
use isoprophyl alcohol 90% or more and soft toothbrush and gently brush off all corrosion if you see it. Alcohol also helps get rid of remaining liquid if there is any. Fans going full speed can be sign of blown sensor on the motherboard but one which would not prevent booting.
You could try opening keyboard by removing keys and cleaning everything out (very time consuming), there is tutorials on youtube. Same thing with trackpad.
Try running it without battery do you see this freezing happening without it?

Another thing to try is remove keyboard and use usb external keyboard, do you get any freezing with this? Then remove trackpad and try again, this way you can see what component is causing it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.