ASUS vs MSI

Chubano

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Hey guys!

So i'm trying to figure out which laptop to buy for this year's black Friday sale to take to college. I want a quality laptop that I can run new games on for a while.

So on IBP i'm looking at the ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71 Laptop and the MSI GT72VR Dominator Pro Gaming Laptop

They both have very similar specs but the MSI is more expensive, with less stock RAM. The ASUS also has a 1tb primary mechanical hard drive and a separate M.2 256GB SSD (which i don't understand at all).

They both have intel 17-6700HQ, GTX 1070 8GB,.

The ASUS is $1700 with 16BG RAM and the drives I talked about

The MSI is $1800 with 8GB RAM and no primary drive, but a 256GB SanDisk X400 M.2 SSD. The things is IBP also gives out a lot of free hardrive upgrades, but it's kind of a gamble. Which one do you think is better to buy to be able to run new titles for longer? Thanks! :)

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/ASUS-ROG-GL502VS-DB71-Laptop
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GT72VR-Dominator-Pro-Gaming-Laptop -Links for both laptops on the IBP site

Solution
+1 for the Asus brand. Even my personal opinion is Asus. It never has failed on me like other craps.

and for this M2 and primary HDD,

SSD is fast but usually expensive. HDD is slow but cheap. So you get a little bit of SSD(256GB) and a heavy amount of HDD capacity(1TB).
So they may have already configured or you'll need to configure them where you can install the OS and other software on the M2 SSD where you need speed. And those heavy things like videos and music which doesn't affect the speed, and even backups you can keep in the HDD that is your 1TB primary Mechanical hard drive. Hope you can undersatnd.

Eldy

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
In my personal opinion, i would get the ASUS machine, just because i have previously owned an ASUS laptop and can say they are very good quality and have good customer service incase something goes wrong. As for the MSI machine, i haven't exactly heard the best things about these so i would probably go with the ASUS laptop (this is just a personal opinion). Also, the 8GB of ram in the MSI machine would fall kind of short compared to the optimum 16GB in the ASUS machine.

Nuwan Fernando

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
+1 for the Asus brand. Even my personal opinion is Asus. It never has failed on me like other craps.

and for this M2 and primary HDD,

SSD is fast but usually expensive. HDD is slow but cheap. So you get a little bit of SSD(256GB) and a heavy amount of HDD capacity(1TB).
So they may have already configured or you'll need to configure them where you can install the OS and other software on the M2 SSD where you need speed. And those heavy things like videos and music which doesn't affect the speed, and even backups you can keep in the HDD that is your 1TB primary Mechanical hard drive. Hope you can undersatnd.

Solution
I have owned both ASUS and MSI gaming laptops. They both make excellent laptops, and I think either would be a fine choice.

In this instance it comes down to mostly personal preference, as they are equipped very similarly. I happen to like the styling and larger display of the MSI, and also the more flexible (color-wise) keyboard backlighting, and the extra weight due to the larger size wouldn't bother me.

Your tastes may differ from mine, though. :D

P.S. If you need to lug around the laptop everyday for classes, then I would recommend getting the much lighter ASUS.

Chubano

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Thanks guys. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback about the ASUS even though i've heard it was kinda unreliable. Porpbably just gonna go with the ASUS because of RAM, price, and the two hard drives.