Asus with broken screen suddenly wont connect with external monitor?

EternalVioletVoid

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015
I have an asus laptop that took a tumble off my bed and the screen cracked. I hooked it up to an external monitor and it connected right away. I had been using it like that for a couple months when all of a sudden, when I booted up my laptop, it wouldn't connect to the monitor. I've tried pressing fn+f8 and tried closing the screen right after booting it up. I'm strapped for cash at the moment so I cant get the screen repaired at the moment. I have unplugged the video cable and plugged it back in, I've switched them. When I take it out, the external monitor says "Check Video Cable." but when I hook it all up, it says monitor going to sleep and then goes black screen. I think I've read through almost every thread about this, but nothing works. Can anyone give me any other ideas?

Solution
Hi,

First, do try a hard reset with your laptop but pretty much you'll be doing a blind troubleshooting. Remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Power it back on with just the AC adapter and if it turns on connect the battery in as well. If nothing happens on the external display but you know that the laptop is on press on the Windows key + P at the same time then press Enter and see if you can get the screen back.

If nothing happens, it's either the laptop is stuck onto an error message upon boot up and the only way to fix it is to use it's built in display.
Hi,

First, do try a hard reset with your laptop but pretty much you'll be doing a blind troubleshooting. Remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Power it back on with just the AC adapter and if it turns on connect the battery in as well. If nothing happens on the external display but you know that the laptop is on press on the Windows key + P at the same time then press Enter and see if you can get the screen back.

If nothing happens, it's either the laptop is stuck onto an error message upon boot up and the only way to fix it is to use it's built in display.

Solution

bachelor1602

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Hi,
I recently had a similar issue with a Sony laptop of my sisters, it turned out that the display wasn't getting the chance to work because the OS wasn't booting, it was attempting a scan on startup. Pressing escape a few times after startup allowed it to boot and the hdmi automatically mirrored the displays after that. Hope this helps