ASUS X551 won't power on

mayates2

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Was working on my laptop an ASUS X551 and it just shut off on its own out of no where. I can see the battery light is green and if I push the power button that will go green as well but I hear no sound of it starting up or running. If it is the battery shouldnt it run when the plug is in? And why would the power light go on but not actually boot up? Thanks

Solution
Some laptops will run on the power cord alone and some won't.

If the light turns on when you press the button that means there is power getting to the device, however if it isn't getting enough to run it that is different. The next step, if you are up to it, is to test where power is and isn't getting. Is it getting only to the port for the charger and no further, or is it getting all the way to where the battery is and yet the battery isn't charging?

If you don't feel comfortable taking it apart that much and testing different areas to see where the power is going, I would then talk to a local tech about looking at it. Or if it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer.
Some laptops will not run at all if the battery is dead or out.

Try the following and see if it will turn on...

1. Unplug your charger cord.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
4. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
5. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop. You may also want to try charging it when the device is off, rather than on. If it works then, the cord is probably the issue.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

NOTE: While the battery may be complicated to get to, it should be replaceable. Unless it is under warranty, then you should contact the manufacturer.

mayates2

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks. I had tried another cord before and it also didn't work but I will try the battery thing. I heard they are a pain to take out but I will try.

mayates2

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Oh also will the battery light change in color if it is dead? It was orange originally then I left it plugged in over night and now it is green. If the battery isn't working will it change like that?

mayates2

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017

mayates2

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Does the battery have to be good immediately order for the computer to boot up? Can it not run solely on electric? The fact that I hear nothing, no fan or anything spinning but yet the power light will go on makes me think it is something else.

I followed all of your steps and took it apart and pulled the battery tried with just power cord put batter back In and tried again but still no nothing. Thoughts?

Some laptops will run on the power cord alone and some won't.

If the light turns on when you press the button that means there is power getting to the device, however if it isn't getting enough to run it that is different. The next step, if you are up to it, is to test where power is and isn't getting. Is it getting only to the port for the charger and no further, or is it getting all the way to where the battery is and yet the battery isn't charging?

If you don't feel comfortable taking it apart that much and testing different areas to see where the power is going, I would then talk to a local tech about looking at it. Or if it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer.

Solution