Asus x553m bios settings

Feb 22, 2018
Hi all,

A friend has asked me to have a look at his laptop as the bios keeps loosing it's settings.

He bought the laptop second hand a little while back and we downgraded it to Windows 7 as he was struggling with windows 8. In the bios is a setting to set it to windows 7.

He doesn't use the laptop a huge amount of time and quite often the battery will go flat and then the bios forgets it's settings and it will revert back to the default value of windows 8 in the bios and will stall on the boot up.

I was going to replace the CMOS battery, but the laptop doesn't have one and it keeps the bios settings using the inbuilt battery. The battery seems to function ok and you can use the laptop on battery power ok. Not sure for how long.

If we replace this battery, will this resolve the bios settings issue? Or is this an inherent problem with this laptop?

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve

Feb 22, 2018
My friend doesn't use his laptop often, he quite often leaves the laptop with a flat battery and when he comes to use it, the bios settings have reset them selves to factory settings and then the system won't boot.

I was planning on replacing the button battery, so that the laptop retains its bios settings, but this model apparently doesn't have one.

I have yet to open the laptop to check, but from what I've seen online, this is what I've understood

Hopefully that clears up my rambling question