Asus X751L USB port problem

TrashCaster

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
Using Windows 10, factory was Windows 8. The problem existed in both, and all drivers are up to date. This is definitely a hardware issue.

So here's the scenario.
I have a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, with the nano receiver plugged into my laptop, and they work fine.

I only have 3 USB ports, all of which are 3.0, and when I plug my USB 3.0 flash drive into one of the ports, the connection drops on the keyboard and mouse. It half works. It almost feels like it's polling the USB dongle at half speed or something. If I move the mouse around, it kind of moves the cursor on screen.

The touch pad works just fine, but it bothers me that I have to use the built-in hardware to navigate my laptop while powering a USB 3.0 device. It's coming off as if it's a power issue.

I've heard that ASUS is just bad with their laptops' USB ports, but I'm not going to assume the slander is accurate unless directly proven so. But I am skeptical.

Any advice or help is very much appreciated.

Solution
Hi,

Please do try this troubleshooting steps that may make a difference.
- Go to Control Panel and look for Power Options or just right click on the battery icon on the bottom right hand corner and select Power Options
- Click on Change plan settings depending what power plan is selected.
- Click Change advanced power settings
- Look for USB settings and expand it.
- Disable USB selective suspend settings both plugged in and on battery.
- Click Apply and OK then reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect then try it again.
Hi,

Please do try this troubleshooting steps that may make a difference.
- Go to Control Panel and look for Power Options or just right click on the battery icon on the bottom right hand corner and select Power Options
- Click on Change plan settings depending what power plan is selected.
- Click Change advanced power settings
- Look for USB settings and expand it.
- Disable USB selective suspend settings both plugged in and on battery.
- Click Apply and OK then reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect then try it again.

Solution

TrashCaster

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Awesome, that worked. Thanks. I can't believe I didn't think to check that. I have no idea why that would be enabled to begin with. Seems like a huge inconvenience to not have it off.