ASUS Z8100 Laptop - Wireless Problems

Ozbar11

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Hey guys,
I have a ASUS Z8110 laptop and I have just reinstalled Windows from the recovery partition cause it was stuffing up. Now, this laptop does have wireless. When I try to start any of the wireless utilities it says "Unable to connect to the wireless lan card. the tray icon will be loaded once the card is inserted". Its a internal card! The wireless was not working before the reformat but had worked in the past.

The OS is Windows XP.

Thanks for any help.

Check in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters for a yellow mark beside your wireless device. If the device isn't in the list, restart the computer and tap whatever you need to go into BIOS or Setup and make sure it's enabled in there.

If it is in Device Manager and is yellow marked, right click and go to Properties then click on Update Driver and if you're connected to the net by ethernet, let the system check for drivers at the Windows site. If you don't have any luck, click the Properties>Details tab and note down the four characters that follow VEN and the four that follow DEV. Iput them in the Vendor and Device boxes at http://www.pcidatabase.com and follow the links to the maker's website.
[/#000ff]

Ozbar11

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010

Thanks for the response.

There is nothing in device manager. There is no obvious option in the BIOS and I did a reset to default in the BIOS and no luck.

That's odd - there should be two entries under Network Adapters, one for your ethernet and the other for wireless. Is there a physical switch to turn wireless on or a Function key with a wireless icon that you hit in conjunction with the Fn key?

Ozbar11

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
There's one for Ethernet and one for dial up (I assume its dial up its a 1394 Net Adapter). Yes there is a function key but it does nothing... There is a physical "Hot key" which also does nothing.