Asus Z87-A mobo..Realtek or Asus audio drivers?

NickyB

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
Should I be using the drivers from the Realtek site or the ones that Asus is hosting? The thing is the Realtek site ones are 2 or 3 versions ahead of what is on Asus's website. I'd like to use the latest from Realtek to get the most out of my audio but do not want to sacrifice any special goodies that maybe in the Asus ones, even though they are revisions behind.

So what do you guys use? Realteks drivers? Or the ones hosted by your motherboard manufacturers?

Solution
In reality any of the three is fine and each has advantages.
Microsoft - Best for security issues, but for audio drivers not usually an issue. I generally skip these, they'll hit Realtek in a few days.
Realtek- may be a week or two ahead of Asus.
Asus - Generally the same as from Realtek, just tested and repackaged. Any 'goodies' will most likely be listed separately.

I usually get drivers from the MOBO company, just because they are allin one place: Bios, Chipset, Audio, Net...

mickypheonix

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
Hi NickyB
Download your audio drivers from asus your motherboard manufacturers site , they should be the latest realtek drivers for your onboard audio.
If not windows update will find the latest driver for you once the driver is installed

EasyLover

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I've never used Windows Update for mobo driver's update though it is a good idea. I always download from the Asus website or use EZUpdate utility of mobo to automatically update the driver as soon as newer version is made available at Asus website.

tomc53

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
In reality any of the three is fine and each has advantages.
Microsoft - Best for security issues, but for audio drivers not usually an issue. I generally skip these, they'll hit Realtek in a few days.
Realtek- may be a week or two ahead of Asus.
Asus - Generally the same as from Realtek, just tested and repackaged. Any 'goodies' will most likely be listed separately.

I usually get drivers from the MOBO company, just because they are allin one place: Bios, Chipset, Audio, Net...

Solution