AT&T Admits to Sub-par 3G Service in NYC, SF

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

At&t's 3g signal is still terrible in Manhattan. 3g service frequently drops calls and loses connectivity during data usage. it causes phones to switch back and forth between 2g and 3g, causing significant battery drain.

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
The graphs in that slide have absolutely no scale or in fact seems to present any actual data.

Service in Manhattan is a joke. Half my networking group has iphones. I've given up and just got radio's for everyone whenever we're doing an event....

G

I live on the west side of Chicago where I get a good signal, but when I go downtown there are places where it is intermittent at best. Plus when I'm underground on the subway no signal at all while all around me people are carrying on conversations.

I was in Florida earlier this month and was surprised at how great the signal was at Disney World and in South Florida-Miami-Palm Beach-Stuart areas. 5 bars all the time.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
i live in deep south texas and we have reasonable 3G service all through the rio grande valley... tho i do find it interesting that we have the service at all when areas around larger cities such as San Antonio and Houston have very spotty service if any. still a very bad situation for one of the largest service providers in the world.

G

Is the improved voice quality the result of more bandwidth being available since more and more people keep switching to N900 and Droid phones

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I live in the Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area. In my specific area both AT&T and T Mobile seem to be in a dead spot but Sprint and Verizon are okay.

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I have an iPhone in the SF bay area (San Jose). Not sure if my area was getting the worst of it, but I never really noticed a problem. It was worse when I lived in Sacramento.

G

at&t is way better in LA than in nyc. nyc is really hit or miss. i moved back to LA in november, and honestly the nyc service had improved steadily beginning a couple of months before i moved.

G

It is absolutely horrible in NYC. I work near 23rd and park and get 0 phone or internet service in my office building. And i'm in a highrise! POS cell phone network. Talk the talk, but haven't done anything to improve their problems. And, if i want to leave they will still charge me a ridiculous early termination fee, when really they should be paying me back for my monthly charges since they don't live up to their bargin in providing me the service I PAY FOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.