AT&T and Verizon Verdict Expected Later Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]If apple wins I'm moving to Cuba.[/citation]

You know I wish Apple could win that way I wouldnt have to read you stupid comments,. However since Apple isnt suing Verizon, I really doubt they will. At&t is suing.

jankee

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
counselmancl,
You better prepare yourself by getting connection with Fidel Castro because you will have to move to Cuba soon.

G

Personally I think all the cellular providers sell snake oil. Having said that, AT&T needs to accept that their coverage is not as pervasive as Verizon. Verizon needs to stop bashing AT&T though. I used to have Verizon but switched because they have the absolute worst customer service; its almost a disdain for customers. So, I decided to switch to ANYONE else!.... Just happened to select AT&T for a variety of reasons and have had positive experiences the last three years.
Let's see Verizon put THAT in their freakin ad campaign.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I think Microsoft should have sued apple after the first couple of it's pointless "i'm a mac" commercials that in no way advertise a product.

I'll switch to verizon if they buy out my AT&T contract, and give me free data for a few years. I'm 100% against misleading advertisements like the map that makes it seem like AT&T has nearly no 3G coverage.

That map is only actually important if you're travelling all over the country which a tiny % of the population does. For the other 90% of people, they probably have coverage where they live and don't need covereage where there isn't coverage.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I'm 100% against misleading advertisements like the map that makes it seem like AT&T has nearly no 3G coverage.

The maps shown are completely accurate, and clearly compare only 3G. I do, however agree with everyone who's saying all these rather underhanded advertisements need to stop. It's really hard in this specific case to say whether the Verizon commercials are misleading, because it all depends on the amount of information the general viewer already has. For instance if you think 3G is the only network, this commercial would be very misleading.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
If you haven't realy watched TV at all then I guess you haven't figured the fact that most comercials are misleading! It's a constant lie fest that makes me believe the writers are polititions.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
AT&T should get their 3G coverage up to snuff...end of story. EDGE sucks a$$! I can barely send a text out let alone surfing the net.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
If Verizon loses I'll lose the last bit of confidence in our legal system. Not that I really have any confidence or pride in it now of course.

dawolf74

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]itadakimasu[/nom]That map is only actually important if you're travelling all over the country which a tiny % of the population does. For the other 90% of people, they probably have coverage where they live and don't need covereage where there isn't coverage.[/citation]

Saying a product or service isn't important because basically "I don't see where anyone needs this" is the height of retarded commenting. For you the commentard award first class for today.

Let me offer you another dumb ass quote along those lines:

Thomas Watson, who was chairman of the board of IBM corporation in the 40s, is often credited with the quote, "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." There is some controversy over whether he said it, but whomever did, it turned out to be a colossally inaccurate prediction.

Yeah, he didn't see the need for more then a few computers on the planet. Yeah, so we should all throw ours in the garbage, he was really smart and must have been right.

Or how about Xerox giving up the Mouse and the GUI to MS and Apple because they didn't see the need for either?

The playing fields of business and history are littered with stupid people saying stupid things along the lines of "Who would ever use this? I don't know anyone that would."

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]didymus03[/nom]The maps shown are completely accurate, and clearly compare only 3G. I do, however agree with everyone who's saying all these rather underhanded advertisements need to stop. It's really hard in this specific case to say whether the Verizon commercials are misleading, because it all depends on the amount of information the general viewer already has. For instance if you think 3G is the only network, this commercial would be very misleading.[/citation]

It says pretty clearly, in English, underneath the maps that voice and data services are available outside of 3G coverage areas. What more do you want?

srhelicity

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I don't really think Verizon's ads are "misleading". They state CLEARLY that it is a comparison of 3G coverage areas. I would argue that one of the greatest parts about the iPhone is its web-browsing simplicity, and 3G, while not necessary, is a huge part of the customer experience on the iPhone.

In addition, I think it's nice to actually see some head-to-head advertising; I hate the "blah blah blah XXX is 25% better than the national leading brand". I want you to tell me how your product is better than the others, and doing so often necessitates a direct comparison to a specific product or brand. I see nothing wrong with the Verizon ads.

FWIW, I have been on AT&T service for ~5 years now (in Oklahoma), and I don't have any complains from this part of the country. Verizon does not provide new accounts in this area, though I'd have no reason to switch anyway. Much like real estate, whether one wireless provider's coverage is better or worse than another depends primarily on your specific location and where you travel. For me, AT&T has very good coverage around here (and in the areas to which I travel), while Verizon is shoddy. You can discuss the pros/cons of the technology each uses, but unequivocally saying that VZ is absolutely better than AT&T isn't justified, IMO. It may be better for you where you are located, but it certainly isn't for me and in my area.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]itadakimasu[/nom]I think Microsoft should have sued apple after the first couple of it's pointless "i'm a mac" commercials that in no way advertise a product.[/citation]

Great point. Verizon's add is actually true. Apple's add about Windows is very very misleading. There are all kinds of factors to Apple's claims.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Yea these commercials have nothing to do with Apple, they're directed at the AT&T service. Verizon is saying the iPhone is cool, the way it connects to the internet sucks.

G

You don't see the cable companies suing Dish Network over their commercials. At the very least they lie about Dish's reliability during storms.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]Great point. Verizon's add is actually true. Apple's add about Windows is very very misleading. There are all kinds of factors to Apple's claims.[/citation]

except most of the unsubstantiated claims are made under the pretense of Mac vs. PC, and a PC is not explicitly windows.....some ads do mention windows....but not all of them

Status
Not open for further replies.