AT&T Announces $39 Billlion Purchase of T-Mobile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
[citation][nom]thegamersblog[/nom]They can afford a 39 billion dollar acquisition but can't spend a few billion to upgrade their network infrastructure to support greater bandwidth... fail... i hope this company burns in hell. I can't believe i bought their uverse package.[/citation]

AT&T did just upgrade their network with this $39B purchase. Fork lift upgrades to new network technologies are incredibly expensive. AT&T saved tens of billions of dollars buying one that already existed instead of trying to upgrade the one they have.

jimsocks

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Back to sprint I guess. For all the guys on contracts, at&t will honor it, but they are removing T-Mobile 3g bands so you still have to buy a new phone.

lunaticwoda

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
See i was fine when I heard Sprint was trying to buy T-mobile but fuck me to tears if ATT buys them. Im happy with my no contract unlimited everything (minus data) for only 50 bucks ugh

G

Everybody here missed the biggest issue with this merger, what will happen to the T-Mobile girl in the pink dress?

h2o_skiman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I really enjoyed the T-Mobile vs. AT&T commercials, especially the one where she says "does it hurt?" when the guy walks out of the wi-fi zone.

I will miss them.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I know this is a bit off topic, but does anybody know if there is a carrier out there that just offers text messaging for a nominal fee? I don't need the voice or data. Thanks.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]My thoughts exactly....if they have had this much cash lying around who the hell are they to keep capping plans and raising prices?Just a crooked as the US oil companies....charge record high gas prices....and then record record high profits (meaning their cost did not change at all!)[/citation]

I agree that if they are spending that much to purchase a company, they should be able to update/upgrade their 3g and 4g infrastructures.

However, the oil company analogy is just plain wrong. Oil companies don't determine the price of oil, especially American oil companies seeing as how we are no longer the dominant producer. Oil price is a very complicated calculation based on supply (reported reserves) and demand. Oil companies don't put a price on oil based on the cost. It's actually the other way around. They decide whether to drill/produce oil based on if the market determined price of oil is high enough to make drilling/producing cost effective. So to say that oil companies change gasoline prices is definitely a false statement, because they don't even control the price of oil.

It's funny to see people complain about high gas/oil prices. How many liquids can you purchase as cheaply as oil/gasoline. A $100 barrell of oil equates to $2.38 per gallon of oil while gasoline is about $3.50. Milk is one of the cheapest liquids you can buy, and it is like $3.70/gallon. Everyone and their grandmother love to criticize the evil oil companies because they make good money. But they really don't take the time to think about it first.

/rant_off

I'm an ATT user so I will be waiting to see if this improves network stability, download speed, etc, etc. I'd rather not see a decrease in network competition, but what's done is done.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom].However, the oil company analogy is just plain wrong. Oil companies don't determine the price of oil, especially American oil companies seeing as how we are no longer the dominant producer. Oil price is a very complicated calculation based on supply (reported reserves) and demand. Oil companies don't put a price on oil based on the cost. It's actually the other way around. They decide whether to drill/produce oil based on if the market determined price of oil is high enough to make drilling/producing cost effective. So to say that oil companies change gasoline prices is definitely a false statement, because they don't even control the price of oil.It's funny to see people complain about high gas/oil prices. How many liquids can you purchase as cheaply as oil/gasoline. A $100 barrell of oil equates to $2.38 per gallon of oil while gasoline is about $3.50. Milk is one of the cheapest liquids you can buy, and it is like $3.70/gallon. Everyone and their grandmother love to criticize the evil oil companies because they make good money. But they really don't take the time to think about it first.[/citation] Well if I could drive around on 20 gallons of milk, maybe your argument might have a bit of weight... But it doesn't. I might use a gallon of milk a week. Or three gallons of drinking water... Etc. But I use a LEAST 20 gallons of fuel... If they made vehicles which got 200MPG so I could go a week on one-two gallons of fuel, your argument might carry more weight, even though it's still wrong... Milk is far from the cheapest liquids you can purchase...

The cheapest would be tap water; at well under 1 cent per gallon. Then things that use tap water like kool aid, coffee and such.. Then bleach which is ~ $2/gal...

The difference is the proportions of which the liquid is necessary... 1 gallon of fuel doesn't do the family car a whole lot of good by itself. Heck, it takes at least three minimum for me to get to work and back just once... And I do get almost 30MPG... Now if to get to work, everyone had to buy three gallons of milk, you can bet that would be what they would be complaining about...

Anyhow; I'm leaving AT&T too. I can't stand what they're doing to the internet service capping and what not. Even though it doesn't directly affect me, this is all I can do (change my cell service) to show my dis-satisfaction. And I'm not under contract anymore so...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
not quite a duopoly as people are saying but yea sprint, verizon and at&t.. so 3.. technically some areas have like metro pcs but those only have minimal coverage in certain areas

still sad to see hte big 4 down to 3

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Great! Now I have to switch my phones from T-mobile. And I have to do it quick before they transfer all of the service calls over to AT&T's foreign call centers. Or it will take me hours to get someone to understand the meaning of "cancel my service you Suck!" in English.
Way to jump on the pile of cash T-mob!
what a sad day.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]Well if I could drive around on 20 gallons of milk, maybe your argument might have a bit of weight... But it doesn't. I might use a gallon of milk a week. Or three gallons of drinking water... Etc. But I use a LEAST 20 gallons of fuel... If they made vehicles which got 200MPG so I could go a week on one-two gallons of fuel, your argument might carry more weight, even though it's still wrong... Milk is far from the cheapest liquids you can purchase...The cheapest would be tap water; at well under 1 cent per gallon. Then things that use tap water like kool aid, coffee and such.. Then bleach which is ~ $2/gal...The difference is the proportions of which the liquid is necessary... 1 gallon of fuel doesn't do the family car a whole lot of good by itself. Heck, it takes at least three minimum for me to get to work and back just once... And I do get almost 30MPG... Now if to get to work, everyone had to buy three gallons of milk, you can bet that would be what they would be complaining about...Anyhow; I'm leaving AT&T too. I can't stand what they're doing to the internet service capping and what not. Even though it doesn't directly affect me, this is all I can do (change my cell service) to show my dis-satisfaction. And I'm not under contract anymore so...[/citation]

I understand that the world doesn't run on milk, and that it takes a lot of gasoline to commute. But all that means to me is that there is a very high demand on gasoline. So if there is a high demand on gasoline, it doesn't bother me one bit if prices are high. Given the high demand on gasoline, I think we are lucky gasoline is as cheap as it is. If you want to blame someone for the amount of fuel it takes for you to get to work you only have a few choices, but I don't think the evil oil companies are one of them.

G

Is the tmobile name going away too? This sucks big BALLS, I've had tmo since it was voicestream. T mobile was the best price for service for my Vibrant too. The land of the free just got a little less free!

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/955486/

All you guys need to see is the above.

it explains it all. how wonderful our regulations !

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]I agree that if they are spending that much to purchase a company, they should be able to update/upgrade their 3g and 4g infrastructures.However, the oil company analogy is just plain wrong. Oil companies don't determine the price of oil, especially American oil companies seeing as how we are no longer the dominant producer. Oil price is a very complicated calculation based on supply (reported reserves) and demand. Oil companies don't put a price on oil based on the cost. It's actually the other way around. They decide whether to drill/produce oil based on if the market determined price of oil is high enough to make drilling/producing cost effective. So to say that oil companies change gasoline prices is definitely a false statement, because they don't even control the price of oil.It's funny to see people complain about high gas/oil prices.[/citation]

Yeah but you do see what they're doing over their in the Middle East and now Libya right? It's driving up the prices of gas and it's also making them waste the gas. Like how they burned those oil fields back in the Bush Sr years. And now Ghadafi saying he'll burn their oil too. So once they drive up the prices to record highs along with the dwindling the oil in the Middle East, they're gonna open up the oil fields here in the US. And those are the biggest known oil reserves in the world. They're gonna cash in big time. If they were smart they would use that to pay off the debt. But I bet they'll destroy the dollar and make a new currency to get rid of the debt pissing off every country holding American TBills.

Status
Not open for further replies.