AT&T Blames Google for Slow Upgrades; Google Says Nope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
So they blame Google cause they want to add bloatware after bloatware and only support their top earning and newest devices only? Also aren't there really only like 2-3 chipsets with the rest being variants of the main ones and the radios being mostly the same? Hell even with fully homegrown OSes some manufacturers promise updates and never deliver and this is when they have 100% control of everything.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Somehow Google needs to do what Apple does and let no one mess with their upgrade processes. Demand that if they want to sell their devices then we would have less dependence on carrier BS/manufacturer BS. If someone wants the overlay then they can manually do it themselves once the manufacturer provides via their website or through push notification.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I know for a fact that the 2.2 update for my Captivate was delayed for 6 months by AT&T because they wanted the tethering disabled.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I know for a fact the 2.2 update for my Captivate was delayed for 6 months by AT&T because they demanded the built in tethering be disabled before they allow it on their network.

Marfig

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]Somehow Google needs to do what Apple does and let no one mess with their upgrade processes. Demand that if they want to sell their devices then we would have less dependence on carrier BS/manufacturer BS. If someone wants the overlay then they can manually do it themselves once the manufacturer provides via their website or through push notification.[/citation]

Yeah, but this is one point where Android differs from Apple. It is also a selling point for the operating system, allowing a whole lot of manufacturers to provide their own customized versions. As much as I want to agree with you, this would simply mean Android was no different than Windows Phone or iOS.

Note also that you can come up with your own customized version of the operating system. Assuming you jailbreak your phone or are somehow allowed to override the existing operating system, you could theoretically install your perfect-for-you OS. In practice, this type of flexibility may doesn't mean much today. But it is still a rather important aspect of an operating system. A fully open and open source architecture is, as I see it, the future of mobile computing.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Since the Android community has already ported 4.0 to work on multiple rooted phones already on the market I'm going to guess that Google isn't really the problem here.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Gee.... how is it that the carriers take so long to add the bloatware that no one wants or uses while other devs like the ones at xda can get out the update much sooner?

sikeong

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
a ragtag group named "XDA Developer" had done better and faster job than those big corporate guys, even with lack of people and lack of resource

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
As I understand it once Google releases the source code it's then up to the manufacturers. Then the carriers try it out and tell the manufacturers to change it, lather, rinse, repeat. I fail to see how Google is at fault here AT&T toolbag. Talk to your handset makers or stop your company from locking out features.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]Yupp, stick to XDA so we can stick it to the big companies. Root & flash a custom ROM.[/citation]
Ok, I laughed at your expense there. What you said was silly. You bought the phone already. That's all the money the manufacturer sees. Technically they don't need to provide you updates at all. And carriers more than likely don't even want to give you updates, mostly they just do it to keep customers from jumping ship. But don't stop rooting just because you aren't sticking it to the man. Custom roms are amazing bits of software that can transform your phone into something truly awesome.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Rooting my HTC Inspire and using the Coredroid ROM has improved responsiveness, signal strength, total features, overall customization and battery life. Just waiting on the 4.0 update which I am sure will be released by these guys before HTC has it for my phone.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I've had sprint for over 10 years now, from palm treo's to all of their windows mobile phones, to android.

Software updates have always been relatively quick on sprint because sprint actually has people working closely with hardware manufacturers(HTC) to load their bloatware and get builds out quickly. Many times sprint will "leak" a version of the new build a few weeks ahead of schedule to let the community find bugs because final release.

So ATT should be to blame for not having a close relationship with HTC, motorola, and samsung.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Every time I buy new laptop, I immediately do a fresh install with a stock copy of Windows.
Doing that to my old phone was quite a bit more problematic.
A custom ROM may have been problematic, but it was by far worth it. I could actually use it the way I intended. I wanted a powerful pocket computer with HDMI output instead of a dedicated Facebook and Fart App device; as the stock ROM is built for.

Status
Not open for further replies.