AT&T Fights for iPhone Exclusivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hopefully Apple see's the light and realizes the biggest thing holding back the iPhone is AT&T. Only this time Verizon needs to NOT turn them down like a bunch of fucking idiots.

G

Yes, they need to offer the iPhone on Verizon. My wife and I both like the iPhone, but don't want to switch carriers. Didn't Verizon turn down Apple because Apple wanted too much control over the cell phone network ? That's what I was told.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
NO cell phone manufacturer should EVER tie themselves down to one service provider.

Each provider has markets where it is strong/dominant, and other markets where it is weak. One city will have great Sprint coverage, another great AT&T coverage, and a third place may be good only if you have Verizon Wireless.

In my region, I would never have AT&T. Sure, it works in many areas, but the dead spots are in areas I use. Verizon, on the other hand, comes in clear as a bell.

Note that I have not mentioned customer service at all. This also varies by company. When I tried to switch from Verizon Wireless to Sprint and my monthly bill would have gone down significantly (by about $50), they denied me. My credit at the time would only permit for 2 lines and I needed to add a line for my mother to my and my wife's plan. I asked to talk with someone who could make an exception, but they said no one could override the computer's decision.

I called Verizon Wireless, and they said they could reduce the cost of my plan and add a third line, but they just needed to get a supervisor's approval. I called the 800 line, and it only took about 5 minutes to have my mother's phone shipped.

Of course, since we don't have any laws to protect the consumer, service providers in the USA merely blacklist those who try to make the same phone for each company and thus take away our choice by requiring provider-phone hookups. So, in the end, I guess it is better that Apple admit defeat and succumb to AT&T's will rather than be drived entirely out of the market place.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I have considered getting an iPhone, but I don't want to be tied to a specific carrier because I frequently go back and forth between the US and Canada. If Apple has an unlocked iPhone where I can just swap cards or settings as I cross the border I'll consider it when my current contracts are up (unfortunately my current phones and contracts came about before all my travel and have lousy roaming options). Until then it is simply too expensive a toy...

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I have considered getting an iPhone, but I don't want to be tied to a specific carrier because I frequently go back and forth between the US and Canada. If Apple has an unlocked iPhone where I can just swap cards or settings as I cross the border I'll consider it when my current contracts are up (unfortunately my current phones and contracts came about before all my travel and have lousy roaming options). Until then it is simply too expensive a toy...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
that phones are locked into particular service providers is a bit retarded. i will say this for the iphone under att, at least they didn't castrate it like they do nearly every other one of their smart/pda phones such as the HTC Fuze/Touch and the TyTN II... i suspect apple wouldn't allow it ;) i still don't comprehend why anyone that seriously (business and hardcore TXTing) uses a cell phone would want it to be an iPhone.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Sorry about the multiple posts. IE kept telling me I wasn't logged in and I tried to correct the problem :( Hopefully it doesn't show up a half dozen times :(

Sorin

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003
The one single thing stopping me from getting an iPhone actually isn't AT&T's network. I've been using them for the 7 years that I've had cell phones and haven't had problems. The one thing stopping me is the stupid mandatory thirty dollar per month data plan ON TOP OF whichever plan I get (the forty dollar per month plan I've happily had since 2002). That's insane. If other carries legitimately got the iPhone, and didn't have the stupid and expensive mandatory data plan, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

Something has to go - either the data plan being mandatory or the exclusivity to AT&T. I don't really care which.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Like Apple even remembers Verizon rejecting them. They didn't, afterall, remember denying they were even making the iPhone to begin with. Apple seems to know how to make money, and I'm sure they'll realize there's no reason to stick with AT&T (unless AT&T pays out some big bucks).

G

No, I DON'T think it's a good idea for Apple to provide phones for multiple carriers in the US market. Why do I think that way? It's because I've never had a problem with ATT, and I want my sweet phone to be sweetly exclusive. Am I a jerk? Probably :3

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
I'm still waiting for something to give over here. O2 Ireland has had the iPhone exclusively since it launched and I'm hoping once the next phone hits the market it'll be available with my provider. That said, I'll consider changing either way once my contract expires in June. The power of the iPhone, it doesn't even feel like a choice anymore! :p

eatmeimadanish

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
I do not understand the philosophy behind keeping the iPhone locked up in AT&T. They could potentially become the only phone on the market if they could sell it to other companies.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
the comparable minutes/data plan at sprint is $30 *less* per month than what i have at at&t... i'd love for the iphone to be available through sprint just because of the ridiculous data plan pricing.

G

The iPhone will never go to Verizon Wireless. The reason for that is Verizon Wireless's business model. Unlike RIM's App World everything that the iPhone has competes with Verizon Wireless's products. Why use Vcast Rhapsody, Vzappzone, and Vznavigator when the iPhone has, the App Store, iTunes, and in 3.0 third party vendors will be able to make turn by turn for the iPhone.

The problem for Verizon is they want their customers to go through them for everything. Ringtones, music, gps, and what have you. This is in direct competition with Apple whom wants the customer to go through them for everything.

nictron

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
For the IPhone to be absolutely awesome and have great penetration it needs to move away from exclusivity partners. This will allow apple to open up the iPhone and create a very powerfull competitor to the rest of the market.

Come on Apple think clearly about this!

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I'd love for the iphone to move to Verizon. But, Lolipopjones is absolutely correct. Verizon likes to nickle and dime their customers for every little thing and they couldn't do that any more with the iphone.

$30 a month extra for a smart phone is ridiculous. I love Verizon's service reliability but I can't stomach $30 extra a month. I want a smart phone but I'm not sure I can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.