AT&T Making Micro-SIM From a Big SIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdzichu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
sinsear: three SIM cards, actually. Credit-card sized is standard SIM, the most prevalent one is Mini-SIM, and the smallest - Micro-SIM.

G

The logic to requiring the use of a micro-sim on something as large as the iPad eludes me.
Probably another attempt by Apple to control and lock down its products.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Soundwave!! back when Transformers was cool,you know before Michael Bay.[/citation]

I hate to go off topic, but someone actually gave you -1 for your comment. Yes, Transformers were cool before Michael Bay...Bay will serve as Joel Schumacher's lap dog during the Apocalypse. There is nothing good about who Bay is or what Bay does...

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
They've had this mod for blackberries and other phones for a while, where u cut the sim down to the size of a micro-sim and set it in this plastic holder that holds 2 sims, so u can use 2 sims at once for ur phone.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Useless commercials, micro-sim cards, and so on... When will ATT wake up and actually invest their money in something useful, like, I dunno, maybe... BETTER NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE?

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]h9000[/nom]The logic to requiring the use of a micro-sim on something as large as the iPad eludes me. Probably another attempt by Apple to control and lock down its products.[/citation]
Typical ignorant assumptions.

Micro-SIM is the new form factor that we should start seeing on small phones. Apple is just the first to mass use it.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Typical ignorant assumptions.Micro-SIM is the new form factor that we should start seeing on small phones. Apple is just the first to mass use it.[/citation]
Maybe, but, be honest now, would you be surprised if it turned out they did require a proprietary SIM card?

G

because phones have been getting smaller since the advent of smart phones.....

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Micro-SIM is what all phones will use very soon. As usual, Apple is an early adopter of new technologies, and as usual, people are afraid of change, and instead spread FUD when they see something they don't understand. Micro SIM is not proprietary. It does not "lock down" the device. It's a completely standard SIM card. Just smaller.

And @minimizeme, it has nothing to do with the phones getting smaller. It has to do with the manufacturers packing more features and more components inside the phone. Making one thing (the SIM holder) smaller gives them more room to put other stuff that wasn't available (in a cell phone) just a few years ago, like GPS, touchscreens, etc.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Micro-SIM is what all phones will use very soon. As usual, Apple is an early adopter of new technologies, and as usual, people are afraid of change, and instead spread FUD when they see something they don't understand. Micro SIM is not proprietary. It does not "lock down" the device. It's a completely standard SIM card. Just smaller.[/citation]

You give Apple too little credit. They have millions of iPhone users who would probably love to slip their iPhone SIM card into their iPad. Thanks to Apple releasing the iPad with a different SIM card slot, people who own both will still have to buy a separate plan from AT&T (or cut their SIM card and risk damaging it).

If the next iPhone doesn't come with a Micro-SIM card slot (where it would make even more sense to use new tech and to save space), I'll be proven correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.