AT&T Places Last in Consumer Reports Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I have both AT&T and Verizon and at least in my area I find AT&T better in cell service and totally fine in customer service although I can't remember the last time I had to call them. I'm actually on the phone with Verizon pretty regularly ... And they're fine too ... I just don't like having to call period. The customer satisfaction numbers in this survey are disappointing (last in 19 cities? Really?) and I hope AT&T takes that feedback seriously.

Those churn figures are interesting ... And those are the types of figures I ar least consider when buying a car, that is, how often do current owners re-buy the same, newer model ... At least I think it's analogous.

Go Verizon, i guess. They must be doing something right.

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I had ATT for internet service, and if their cellphone support is anything like their internet tech support, I'll never get service from them. Verizon I only had to speak with once, and my experience with them was pleasant and resolved quickly. They even waived some fees they'd charged me.

Does anyone find it odd that there's an ATT ad on the page? It's right next to the comment box, watching my words crawl right across the page, right toward it...

compulsionnra

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I may give AT&T a hard time, but I don't know if I believe their customer service are less knowledgeable. A lot of verizon reps are completely clueless. Unless the AT&T reps are complete morons, they can't be worse than some of verizon's people. That being said, Verizon's reps will try their best to resolve your issues and transfer you if necessary if they have no idea what's going on.

G

Interesting that they left out Sprint in the story. Verizon took first, AT&T second and Sprint 3rd in the consumer report story but this article seems to omit that. Personally I've used Sprint for nearly a decade now and been fine with it. Does what I need, has service when and where I need it (I do fly a lot), no surprises in the bill and their phone support when needed sucks just like every one else.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
They all suck in some form or another. My beef is with AT&T signal strength in my city. I can be driving by a tower in the downtown area and I don't have full bars. Text messages I send sometimes doesn't show up until 5-10 mins later. But I'm sure others have better experience with AT&T so in the end, it doesn't matter. When are we going to get away from minutes entirely?

G

I have Verizon for my landline. When my phone line went out, it took them 2 1/2 weeks to get it back up (there were no major storms in the US prior or during that time), and another week to get my DSL back up and running.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
When traveling from Mass to my school in Vermont, I loose service with ATT frequently. I couldn't be happier with ATT though because it is the only service I can get full reception with when in the middle of nowhere in Vermont. I formerly had Verizon, and I would have to hang out my window at school to get one bar of reception, rain snow or shine. I also get ATT at work when I didn't get any reception from Verizon in the same location. Overall ATT is better for me, but I can definitely understand the gripes portrayed in this article. I have had a few experiences where I couldn't talk to my girlfriend for more than 10 minutes without the call dropping.

To be fair though, there is an ATT antenna at my school, as well as work, so that shouldn't be a good measurement of service at all...

pullmyfinger123

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
[citation][nom]pullmyfinger123[/nom]Wondering which cities rank AT&T last in service? There is a map for that.[/citation]

Oh crap, don't sue me please, AT&T

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
AT&T, I think back when I had their service a few years ago, both for business and private phones, in Southern California, the Bay area, and the Pacific Northwest. I hated, literally hated it, but I had them for several years, 8 to be exact, and I thought that was just the way cellular service was. Poor connections, dropped calls, plain and simple lack of service in so many places, and forget about customer service. I would rate their customer service as the very worst I have ever encountered, anywhere! A friend of mine kept laughing at me....kept telling me I was an idiot and should switch to Verison. Finally switched after my last 3 hour (yes 3 hours most of it on hold) fiasco with customer service at AT&T.
I cannot believe I ever put up with AT&T as long as I did. Maybe they are better now than they were 2 or 3 years ago. I sure won't be giving them another try though anytime soon I can tell you that.

laxboy10

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I have gone to AT&T before and the guy thats helping me is having a conversation on the blue tooth headset. But they are good at replacing their phones (because they get horrible service and break easily)

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Well now. That churn figure is due to the fact that people want their iPhone and Apple Almighty to mother them and can't get it anywhere else except at AT&T. So I consider their "churn" figure to be very misleading.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
While I still sometimes look at Consumer Reports, I no longer have any confidence in how they do their investigations. Anyone remember the Apple vs. PC article where they took Apple computers all above $1000 and rated them against $500-$700 PC's? Obviously the Apple's were shown on top (not by much though), but only by cherry picking data and not comparing the same thing across the board. That didn't stop the article headline from announcing that Apple is better than PC, a blatant misinterpretation of the data.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Hey AT&T...can you hear Verizon now?!!![/citation]

They can't, because your call was dropped prematurely. Please try again later.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
And I was just in Missouri visiting relatives last month, stopped by my brother's home. He had 10 months worth of AT&T bills for cell service, land line service, and high speed internet laid out on his dining room table. Asked him why, he responded "have you ever used AT&T? This is just nuts! I have been fighting with them for 3 months over unexplained charges on my bills going back to January of this year, and I am about at the end of my rope with them! I am so tired of spending hours on the phone trying to talk with someone I cannot understand at all, let alone any resolution or explanation of what I am being billed for, I am just going to pay them off, penalties and all, just to be rid of them so I can go with someone else, who do you use?"
Too funny, eh?

G

"Without question the surest indication of customer satisfaction is churn, or turnover. For the last quarter, our postpaid churn was just 1.17 percent."

That is only because of their ridiculously high termination fees that hold people for ranson and forces them to remain customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.