AT&T Reveals PlayStation Vita Data Pricing, US Availability

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]What has this world come to? 30 years ago, three major networks broadcast their content over the airwaves and it was free. It was supported by the advertisers. Now, you have to pay for the data, pay for the content, and yet there are still boocoo advertisements. These carriers must be making money hand over fist.[/citation]

Well when you're too lazy to get more customers by innovating and coming out with a new idea or superior products, or too lazy to compete with your competition you simply raise prices on your current customers.... Gotta remember the economy isn't about getting more customers by being a better service anymore. Now it's about milking people for as much as you can while spending as little as possible to maintain the status quo, so you can please the shareholders and keep your job.

Now if you're lucky your current customers have no other choice of service, which means it's your way or the highway. Electric company monopolies in a given area for example. Or cable service provider monopolies in a given area.

Now to the data plan consider the fact your average game is going to be 500+ MB, all I can say is I hope you have wifi.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]jsinfenny776[/nom]2 GB per month for $25? so you pay $25 per month even through you only use 2mb and there will still nothing be leave over the next month. I will love it more if it is $25 for 2GB could be inactive in a year.[/citation]

There is no contract, so like you might on an iPad, you turn on your data plan when you need it and then turn it off when you're done and don't pay anything between.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]Mobile plans should be on a per person basis (2gb over all devices, unlimited over all devices etc).[/citation]

And if that was the case, I would certainly add my wife's phone on my plan so she didn't have to pay for data... might as well add my parents, sister, mother-in-law, etc, since combined we'd probably not hit the 2Gb cap...

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"2 GB per month for $25"So watching a DVD quality movie would cost you over $50.[/citation]

I think you'd find that a DVD quality rip is a huge amount of overkill for a small screen device [presumably if you are streaming content to your portable device to a large HD TV you are doing so in an environment with wifi]. Using the standard handbrake settings, I get most DVD movies around 600-1200 MB, so that takes us from $50 per DVD movie down to $8 to $15 per movie.

Playing with the Handbrake settings a bit, I have movies averaging around 300MB that still look great on the iPad's 9.7" screen, which is then just ~$4 worth of data per movie. Going down to 4-6" screens, you can probably halve it again... now ~$2.

Next question-- is what are you doing when you have 90-120 minutes to kill, no wifi and can use 3G? Personally, I can't think of any... delayed flight at the airport? I suppose havign a movie to entertain me would be worth a couple of bucks, but don't most airports have free wifi these days?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hmm...

25gb for 2gb of data is a bit of a ripoff, I suppose, but I'm considering that it's 25 bucks for 2gb data + 2 dollars 50 cents for unlimited US+Canada Skype calls.... for a total of 27.50 for a cell phone replacement option.

Cheap compared to my current cell phone bill, which I would rather not think about, because it may send me into a freaking panic attack....

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
2GB for $25... that should seriously be illegal, this is 2012. Prices like this make me feel like I'm in the dark ages, glad I was never considering a 3G model to begin with.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
The part that confuses me is that millions of people every week are signing two year contracts for Smart Phones with more expensive data plans... $30-$40 for 2GB.

Why is $25 with NO CONTRACT absolutely absurd while your phone plans are OK??

G

I would never online game on the 3G. I have a Japanese PSVita and the plan here is 100hrs 3G for about $25. I only use it for some things when I'm on the go. When I game online I'm always on Wifi at home or at a hotspot. Other than that I use 3G just to check something on the web browser or check in somewhere or chat with friends on their PS3 or FB. That barely uses any data. 2GB for $25 isn't too bad if you're using it like me. For all that other high data stuff just use wifi,PS3, or your phone data plan to web browse.

Status
Not open for further replies.