AT&T Rolls Out New Data Plan for Heavy Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
*sigh* AT&T still doesn't get it. People want unlimited, not this limited bullcrap. If they think this is going to help their cause against verizon at all, they're sadly mistaken.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
True.. limitations on on devices that are a central hub for media now and even more in the future.. seems retarded.. however.. no company will offer for free what it can charge for and make a profit on.
consumers will decide with their wallets and.. if the market moves enough.. AT&T will have to bend.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
addition: it seems that AT&T also flooded the market with devices that revealed a flaw.. "not enough bandwidth"... You cant claim to have the fastest network... unless you limit the usage.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Im happy i live in Sweden when readin thoose prices, i pay far less for a real unlimited account. The carrier net are also good - awesome connectivity and good bandwidth as well. Love the 100/100 mbit connection (also real unlimited) for less than 30$/month at home too.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
And I get unlimited data for $30/month with Verizon......(and that includes tethering since I know how to root a phone ;) )

theargiope

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Telecoms want to manipulate people into thinking that bandwidth is some kind of precious resource. In reality, it's a commodity.

The bandwidth speed on my iPhone 4 - in the Atlanta suburbs and about 500 feet from the nearest tower - averages about 1.35Mbps down, and 1.20Mbps up.

That's approximately 0.000165 GB per second. Thus, accruing 1GB of bandwidth is a little over 6,000 seconds of transfer at that average speed.

4GB would be 24,000 seconds of transfer.

That's about 800 seconds per day over the course of a 30 day month. Of course, at over 1Mbps speeds, it doesn't take very long to do just about anything a normal person would do on a pocket device.

What percentage of iPhone users do you think actually burn more than 800 seconds of transfer every single day?

If you said less than 10%, you would be correct. There are absolutely power users can could burn 10GB/mo or more in a month. But we're talking about a tiny percentage of users that are far beyond offset by the other 90% -- most of which don't come close to even 1GB/mo.

My point is -- "Unlimited Data" would be little more than just really good marketing. It would give AT&T brand value benefits, and a superficial benefit over Verizon.

But why build brand value when you can make people think bandwidth is rare, and thus expensive?

Greed is good, right? It's why our economy is always so stable and secure, after all.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
REALLY ATT?

This is horrible. Who came out with this idea? Verizon comes out w\ the iphone and now you give people a huge reason to choose verizon over ATT.

If ATT decides to end their unlimited data for people like me who are grandfathered into the plan... I will start looking for other service.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
unlimited data, cell to cell calls, and 450 other min on sprint for 65 >_< i'll keep with my current plan thnx ... 45 jsut for data what kind of bs who woudl use a service like that

G

You also have to remember you have a much physically smaller country , so its cheaper to get infrastructure in place.

That being said AT&T are still gouging seeing as I get unlimited 3g from T-Mobile for 20$ a month with tethering here in the US. In theory they are supposed to drop me to 56k speeds after 5 gigs of use but so far i used 4-15 gigs a month and I haven't had any throttling.

Verizon isn't to far behind you on pricing. Currently they are doing a 70/30 line for me for 60$ a month without any other stuff bundled. When cable finally catches up or some one else comes along and releases something im sure it will go down more.

arunloveshacking

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
My GOD... I live in India. I pay roughly $1.5 for 4GB usage and $3 for unlimited browsing and download... What the hell is happening in the most developed Country?

theargiope

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]arunloveshacking[/nom]My GOD... I live in India. I pay roughly $1.5 for 4GB usage and $3 for unlimited browsing and download... What the hell is happening in the most developed Country?[/citation]

Well, that's probably because the culture there is more beneficial to the people. In America, the culture is to continue raising prices until you find that point where people can no longer afford it. There really is no reason or accountability here.

futari

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Everyone here is not realizing something extremely important:

Verizon will be throttling network speeds for users of data deemed excessive (however they want to define it). Are Verizon supporters criticizing AT&T really satisfied with a "true unlimited" plan where your bandwidth is suddenly crawling at dialup speeds at Verizon's whim?

futari

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Everyone here is not realizing something extremely important:

Verizon will be throttling network speeds for users of data deemed excessive (however they want to define it). Are Verizon supporters criticizing AT&T really satisfied with a "true unlimited" plan where your bandwidth is suddenly crawling at dialup speeds at Verizon's whim?

Status
Not open for further replies.