AT&T Sets the Coverage Map Record Straight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
My girlfriend works in a high-level position at AT&T on the wireless side. We do not have any coverage where we live, but AT&T has this area marked as covered. We do have coverage with Verizon, but we are both under contract with AT&T.

We had to purchase a Verizon Wireless broadband device so that she could work from home for AT&T. They refuse to install a DSLAM close enough for us to get DSL, there are no cable providers out here, and Verizon does not operate a land line service in this area.

AT&T is a total shit company.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jdog2076[/nom]Do some research on what's actually involved in setting up and maintaining a nation-wide cellular network and then re-think that statement.[/citation]
Seems that you're about 10 years too late making a remark like that! But, since you think like that I suppose you'd also like for us to check out what it entails to carry electricity all over the nation, I mean, electricity is so over-rated anyways. Let's not even talk about indoor plumbing.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
The only thing that AT&T is managing to set straight is the fact that they are way behind in 3G coverage and service and are crying foul because they are being called on the carpet for it.

As they say, "Truth Hurts!"

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Not once I can talk on my iphone more than 10 minutes without a drop call. Maybe my IPHONE 3G just suk. I will trash it as soon as my contract expired on June.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Listing large cities you have coverage in, is beyond pathetic. AT&T better hope that their average customer isn't intelligent enough to see how desperate they are.[/citation]Don't worry. There customers are mostly iPhoners now. Plenty of unintelligent people in that crowd.

Next Verizon commercial? A Droid licking the tears off an Apple.

jaicen

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
just to let you know AT&T's 3G coverage is mainly for Data, so everyone that is talking bad about Voice communcation on 3G needs to understand that voice is the same on 3G and Edge network, if you are having problems with getting cell coverage, just like verizon on the iphone you need to reset your cell phone network, you can do this by going to Settings-General-Reset-Reset Network Settings

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Don't worry. There customers are mostly iPhoners now. Plenty of unintelligent people in that crowd.Next Verizon commercial? A Droid licking the tears off an Apple.[/citation]

So most iphone owners are unintelligent people. I think your just jealous because you cant afford one. No need to hate on others.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Why are we all complaining about 3g, that is yesterday's news... I am only interested in 10g networks, that actually cover mountains and valley's.

anyway...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Too bad Luke Wilson hasn't made a good movie since ever...[/citation]

You dare insult Idiocracy?! :D

To be fair though, Mike Judge's writing and Dax Shepard made that movie great.

Frito: [Acting as Joe's public defender] It says here you robbed a hospital. Why'd you do that?
Pvt. Joe Bowers: I'm not guilty!
Frito: That's not what the other lawyer said.

Pvt. Joe Bowers: Man, I could really go for a Starbucks, y'know?
Frito: I don't really think we have time for a handjob, Joe.

Frito: Yah I know this place pretty good, I went to law school here.
Pvt. Joe Bowers: In Costco?
Frito: Yah I couldn't believe it myself, luckily my dad was an alumnus and pulled some strings.

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Funny AT&Ts map shows coverage in my area, and there is none even remotely close, no service of any kind unless they count the expensive ass landline long distane, cause theres no cel coverage of any kind from AT&T even close to me.

They really gonna cry in 2010 when Verizon gets Iphone. We are serviced by Verizon 3G in my area with great service and speeds.

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Seems that you're about 10 years too late making a remark like that! But, since you think like that I suppose you'd also like for us to check out what it entails to carry electricity all over the nation, I mean, electricity is so over-rated anyways. Let's not even talk about indoor plumbing.[/citation]
If I recall, there's still plenty of areas in the United States that have no cell reception whatsoever. There's a reason for this - it's not economical to put towers in areas where the population density is just a handful of people per square mile. To say America should have 100% coverage just because it's America is ridiculous.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I am glad to see that AT&T has addressed Verizon's ads.

Verizon straight up lied about 3G coverage where I live. There are two 3G network areas in Illinois (Champaign-Urbana, and Peoria areas) where 3G is present and has been for several months. Of course Verizon's "There's a map for that" commercials would exclude that fact and lie to the consumer. Who knows where else Verizon is lying about.

Oh well, Verizon is just pissed about the better selection of phones AT&T has.

Also, I think Sprint has the fastest network, so both can stfu.

Signed: An AT&T customer.

jjchmiel78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
One thing I noticed while watching TV tonight, AT&T seem desperate. I mean really really desperate. I mean political ad campaign a few days before the election desperate. I swear there was not a commercial break with out at least two commercials for them. Yes I am a Verizon customer. Yes AT&T is offered. Yes I know people that are happy with them. But heaven forbid I venture out of the city. Alltel now Verizon is the only company to offer service in the rural areas around the city I live in.

jjchmiel78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
One thing I noticed while watching TV tonight, AT&T seem desperate. I mean really really desperate. I mean political ad campaign a few days before the election desperate. I swear there was not a commercial break with out at least two commercials for them. Yes I am a Verizon customer. Yes AT&T is offered. Yes I know people that are happy with them. But heaven forbid I venture out of the city. Alltel now Verizon is the only company to offer service in the rural areas around the city I live in.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]invisik[/nom]So most iphone owners are unintelligent people. I think your just jealous because you cant afford one. No need to hate on others.[/citation]It's not about hating them. Its about making them realize they have the wool over their eyes.

With AT&T and the iPhone it's about realizing you can get something better for less. Which is the whole point of the Verizon commercials. AT&T is pulling some fine print with these commercials 97% coverage (fine print: including our dated EDGE network). Verizon just took the facts and put it in bold, large, easy to read text.

Stupidity, there was an app for that, but it was rejected due to possible loss of market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.