AT&T Stitching Up Jailbroken iPhone Tethering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
i'm sort of expecting/hoping to get one of these letters; even though I don't tether my iphone, I use probably 6-10 gb/month on my unlimited plan and I would love to see them try to accuse me of tethering solely based on usage. What a joke.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I am on he $30 jailbroken-refuse-to-update-from-3.12-tethering-mywi plan myself. If this goes away, so does AT&T. Hello Boost or Wamart.

I don't give a flying fukk about data usage trends and whatnot. I am paying for unlimited, period. If they want to force me to access my bandwidth via a baby iPhone touchscreen vs my laptop, then they are the tyrants. Fukk them.

All these @55h0l3 companies want to fukk their users for "tehtering", yet they believe in no unlimited "all-you-can-eat", yet they want to market the perception to trick the sheeple.

If they contrinue to try and oppress me, then fukk them, cold turkey time. Time to resort to amish ways or such. I cut out cable tv and have missed nothing but life. Maybe time to cut out more tech crap, or at least find better ways to stick it to the man and make the sheeple jealous.

And all you AT&T douchbags posting in here, keep your troll post where they belong, up where browns come out for the superbowl.

G

So does that mean if I'm off contract, I could upgrade to a new Iphone by renewing my unlimited plan, tether, receive a notice, have my plan switch over. File a breach of contract, have a new phone for a discounted price w/o contract and go to some other carrier with GSM or sell my phone for a profit?

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
@off-topic

Can't bestofmedia sue these spammers or use their servers for exploit testing and eventually wipe mobo BIOS by accident?^^

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
The only way they can tell for sure its tethered data going across or not is to examine the TTL on each packet. A tethered device will be 1 less than it should be.
I doubt att is that smart and am pretty sure that they just figure there is no way any one can go beyond 5GB a month without tethering.
I've setup a custom stream @ 1024Kbps just to see.. will be streaming it to a captivate for a month with no tethering option enabled.. see what if anything they have to say.
However, if any one is getting nervous about this, the easiest way to screw att right back is to install a proxy server of some variety on your jail broken iTrash or rooted Android.
No TTL decrease, no proof.

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Hmm...

Screw over DSL users, Screw over iPhone users.

Batting 1000 so far AT&T. About a month ago I as actually weak enough to consider giving AT&T DSL a shot. I am so glad I didn't. Staying with Time Warner and upgrading to Wide Band was by far the better choice.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Why can't companies think like "Lets corner the market and give our customers what they want" instead of "let try and figure out how to fukk out customers since they are the only ones stupid enought to go with us"

samuel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I'm not sure if anyone posted this response so I'll just go ahead....
You don't have to worry about them suspecting you of tethering to slap on the tethering add-on because in the header information of every web page request there is always information of the explorer version that you are using (firefox, opera, chrome, etc.) so anything thats not mobile phone browser based can easily be flagged and recognized as tethering; Plus by utilizing simple networking inspection capabilities or deep packet inspection which has been implemented in most infrastructures they can determine if the program which is accessing the internet is a mobile or pc/mac platform related so if you get a SMS or letter about the tethering know that there is a 90%+ chance that you have been caught tethering.... so stop cheating the system!

But screw them for charging a extra fee for something which is cheaper and/or free for just about everywhere else the the world.... EVEN FOR THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES!!!!!!!!

So we will continue to cheat them to prove that as long as they are assholes we will screw them with a mighty fist :)

Oh and to anyone out there reading this can I suggest a application that sits on the WiFi hot-spot program and translates the header information to resemble that of a cell phone browser in real-time? (although this might change the page type formatting)

Sorry for and grammar and/or spelling mistakes

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Im glad other carriers aren't a-holes like this. I tether my rooted sprint android phone with no problems with sprint, even though they too has a tethering plan for their smartphones.

G

Jees I cannot fathom how someone can surf these forums and "not know" how they can determine tethering. You are forgetting the nuts and bolts of internet construction, things like MAC addresses and IP's. It's not magic, and they will have a record... it is after all at&t.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Sorry, unlimited bandwidth for a smartphone is not at all the same thing as unlimited bandwidth for a smartphone, a laptop, and anything else you want to connect to it.

I don't claim to know what the fair prices for these two things should be, but whatever they are I know they shouldn't be the same.

I use an AT&T data plan just for my phone. I'd like to be able to purchase a plan that covers just my needs. And I'd rather not have to put up with flaky service because lots of people who agreed to use it only for their phones felt free to hook up their laptops and who knows what else to it.

If you don't like the price, argue that. But spare me the indignation that there's no difference between the two when there obviously is.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
AT&T are douches, you sign up on a internet account and when you use that through your phone to your laptop they all of a sudden dont want to provide it even when you pay. Just like crapple - they sell goods / services that you arent allowed to use as you see fit even thoo you payed for it (gb in this case, hardware when its crapple). What a gloruous world of customer care where only proffit counts - amazing that some people dont see this when they sign up. Sadness!

G

In response to all the people who have justified illegal tethering because it "just should be included for free", do you steal groceries from the grocery store because you spend $100 on groceries already, so the potato chips and cookies should just be free? If you could, would you steal gas from the gas station because at $4/gal, they're making lots of money anyways, so they owe you some free gas? It's YOUR opinion that tethering should be free, but in reality, it's a pay-for service. If you don't like it, find another provider that offers free tethering (is there one in the US?).

Plain and simple. The problem with society today is everyone feels entitled for everything. While it would be nice to have free tethering, the fact is, it's not. Hacking your phone to get it is obviously not covered under the terms of service everyone agreed to when they signed up (you DID read the terms, right?). Don't like it, then either switch, or don't tether. You want free Wifi, go to McDonalds or Starbucks, where it's free. Don't expect free burgers and coffee, though...everyone needs to make a living!

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
@brucek2
And when you buy internet and cable for your house, you should pay extra for every freaking device you use.

@BeRealistic
This is not the same thing. I am paying for "unlimited" bandwidth. Not paying for them to govern how I use my bandwidth. Your grocery and gas analog is just stupid. Does the gas station charge you an extra charge if you put the gas in another vehicle or fill your gas can, no the same $4 rate. Does the grocery store charge you more if you feed other members of your family with those same groceries? Last I check, legsitlation was put into effect that said jailbreaking is legal.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
why does tethering affect hem in the first place, you can get download manahers for your phones os you can download the same amount if not more with your phones becasue you never turn them off unlike your computer

the fact they are allowed to punish you should be illegal, they split the speed between the amount of users conected anyway so it makes no differnece to speed, unless they upgrade there bandwidth

mateau

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
ATTENTION AT&T just announced the purchase of T-MOBILE. This is very bad news!! The worst tellcomm has just purchased the best.

The phone NAZI needs to be broken up again.

Call your congressman and to disallow this sale.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]BeRealistic[/nom]In response to all the people who have justified illegal tethering because it "just should be included for free", do you steal groceries from the grocery store because you spend $100 on groceries already, so the potato chips and cookies should just be free? If you could, would you steal gas from the gas station because at $4/gal, they're making lots of money anyways, so they owe you some free gas? It's YOUR opinion that tethering should be free, but in reality, it's a pay-for service. [/citation]

I think this is the worst example to date! The user DO pay for the Internet access. The user just chooses to use that access through the phone in other devices say a laptop.

Say you go to a gas station and pay for a gallon of fuel, would it matter how you use it in the car or your motorcycle? That's what this is about, the isp trying to dictate how the user is allowed to use the access they paid for. Would be fun to see how well the extra tethering costs would hold up in court!

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
IMHO: If the contract specifically defines tethering as being outside the the terms of usage, then everyone is SOL...if the wording is some lawyer-speak, catch-all phrase that vaguely mentions situations that AT&T might not have considered, but wants to maintian control over just the same, then everyone is probably still SOL until a class-action suit against AT&T forces them to honor the terms of the contract as stated...of course, by then, all those unlimited data contracts would have expired and AT& will be issuing a new contract that looks like War & Peace shrunk down to the front and back of one page.

Status
Not open for further replies.