jlee14

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Hey guys,

I received the Audio Technica M50's for Christmas and ant to use them for PC gaming. Since then I have done alot of research on whether they will be decent for gaming or not and am extremely conflicted on if I should try to return them. Should I keep the M50's, what other peripherals do I need to make them sound good for gaming? I have no sound card and my motherboard is the Asus Sabertooth z77. Do i need an amplifier? Soundcard? Is it possible to get virtual surround on the M50's like gaming headsets? Should I return them and purchase a gaming headset instead, like the Corsair Vengence 2100's? Will I notice a reduction in sound quality? Keep in mind I am not a "purist" for sound, I would just like something that I can listen to music and game with, with a closed back.

Thanks for any help,
Justin

Solution
i'd keep them, much better sound quality then any gaming headset
they should sound fine out of the box, be sure to plug them into the rear of your pc
you don't really need virtual surround sound, sound is still pretty directional in a stereo headset
yes you will notice a reduction in quality

pr3dator96

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
i'd keep them, much better sound quality then any gaming headset
they should sound fine out of the box, be sure to plug them into the rear of your pc
you don't really need virtual surround sound, sound is still pretty directional in a stereo headset
yes you will notice a reduction in quality

Solution

jlee14

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Thank you, that was the reassurance I needed. I have noticed however that the M50's don't get very loud. Can you recommended an amp or soundcard that would allow them to get louder?

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I would definitely keep the M50s, as they provide amazing performance for the price (or so I have heard, they are nearly twice as much in the UK).
You should be fine plugging them into your onboard sound, these days built in audio isn't that bad. You can get virtual surround with a soundcard, but personally I don't like it.
I probably wouldn't return them for a gaming headset, the sound will just not be anywhere near as good. However I will say that in "competitive" games a high end gaming headset will be tuned for "key sounds" (eg I can hear footsteps much easier with my gaming headset than my music headphones) however you really sacrifice sound quality for music and immersion in single player games is reduced.

Long story short, keep the M50s (and get a separate mic if needed)