ATI/Nvidia Price War Takes Its Toll, Intel Seen As Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Wow, stupidest article I've read today. If Intel joins the race, there are three likely scenarios

1. Intel will ask for premium price and got wiped out because gamer is not OEM buyers and will care about price/performance

2. Intel competes with ATI and Nvidia at the same price point. Meaning sell their card at whatever price point set by ATI and Nvidia at the time of Larrabee's release.

3. Intel set Larrabee's price lower than existing ATI/Nvidia cards to gain a market share. This will force ATI and Nvidia to lower price even more to try to squeeze Intel out before it gains a foothold.

Neither scenario is good for the downstream card markers.

G

w/e sounds interesting... I hope larrabee isn't a complete dud... infact I hope its really good... maybe bring some innovation to the table instead of letting ATI and Nvidia only advance when neccessary to become first again... neither seems to be really advancing when they're in first... if they were though it would be great

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I hope Larrabee is amazing... Then perhaps well have 3 choices instead of 2. I could care less if the mega million dollar companies are losing coin so we can get a great card at a reasonable price (not $500+)

Go Intel.

Balshoy

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
From what I read here on tom's hardware, Intel's Larabee is just a processor... so in the long run I believe that while we root for Ati/Nvidia or only Larabee, they will be more than happy to offer a kind of sli/cf configuration for people who will buy both a video capable processor and a discrete graphics card. And in the end Intel will be the one to pull the strings as more and more people (and by people I mean gamers, they are the main market for this) are going to buy a computer the classic way (processor + graphics card).

But that leaves one question... what about good old AMD processor? :)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I would personaly preffer to buy the video card on the same die as the main cpu. Much faster access to the system. As long as the cpu's were in a price point i already pay now. and the video processors werent stripped down (same with the cpu) just for it being that way.

The day will be when you see a 16 core cpu with quad crossfire on chip D: i would hate to see the cooler for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.