ati old driver problem

andrewuaic

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
i have in my notebook a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 igp video card " ". if i play counter strike and i press the start button on my keyboard the computer freezes.

windows error reporting told me that it is from a old video driver. the error was somwwthing like that : " thread stuck in .... something".

i have found on the internet a tool which lets me install the latest video driver from ati in my notebook.

the question i have : is it possible that the new driver pushes too much my video chip and could burn it ?

flyt

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
are you serious?

but no, there's no way that'll happen, just make sure you get a driver made for your graphics card.

flyt

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
why would a driver MADE SPECIFICALLY for a certain graphics card, overload it?

doesn't make much sense, does it?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I don't think this is going to overload your video card, but you may want to check your heat sink and use a can of compressed air to blow it out if you are experiencing overheating at all. This is a good practice to do once a month anyway, and every six months I would recommend taking the cover off and cleaning the entire interior as it will get full of lint, dust fluff etc.

Did you also check for a BIOS update to that video card?

The_Noob

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
heh ATI sucks for trying to get legacy drivers...

I got a rage mobility P grafix card on a anchient P2 MMX... it took months of searching for a grafix driver to find one that even works... now thats what i call a lead pencil... lol i do get a chance to play my old dos games on it though...

Anyways you may want to search for other drivers that were put out at the same time... sometimes slightly newer drivers than what you have (but for other cards) will work.... Be warned though most of the time they wont, and looking at default 16 bit or 8 bit color is no pick-nick... espically at 400X600 resolution...

so be sure you have a driver that works before you start messing around...

Also i suggest google... search for the exact modle number of the card you have... So for me i was searching for "Rage mobility P driver" in various arrangements... because that will return different results from "Driver for rage mobility P" even though the words are all pretty much the same...

Anyways, good luck. You will need it.

Oh forgot to say... you can disable the windows key... cant remember how but it is possable... so you may want to try that if everything else works...