Audio Jack Broken on Windows 10 Laptop

jwkles

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Hello, I have an Asus Q550L Laptop with a damaged audio jack. I am running Windows 10.

My computer recognizes my audio jack as having something always in it and as such, I cannot play anything directly through the speakers.

In order to fix this, I have disabled Realtek Audio and enabled the HD Audio that comes preinstalled. But even after doing this and disabling the Headphones that now came up in "Playback devices", still nothing comes out of the speakers. I have also already purchased a USB-audio jack converter, but I would still like to be able to use my speakers and not just everything via headphones.

I am making an assumption here and thinking it is because the speakers still recognize an "analog jack" under the jack information on its properties page.

I hope this is enough information for someone to either provide a solution to just let me listen through my speakers again.

Thank you so much for your time!

jwkles

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

Thanks for the quick response, do you know if there is a guide how how to replace this part, by chance?

Also I was mainly curious if there was a software related solution because I wouldn't mind not using the audio jack, I really just want the speakers to work.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
It sounds to me like the jack is physically damaged. If you plug your headphones into the audio jack, do you get sound in the headphones? Perhaps plugging and unplugging the headphones a few times will "fix" the audio jack. The way they work is that when something is plugged into the jack, the connection to the speakers is physically interrupted. If the part inside the jack that interrupts the connection to the speakers is "stuck", then that would explain why the speakers aren't outputting sound.