Solved! Audio noob with good equipment I'm probably not actually taking advantage of

Peebugger95

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to audio. I have an Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 interface that I got simply to be able to plug my guitar in directly to my PC but I also have an Asus Maximus vii hero motherboard with Supreme FX but the Supreme FX only works through the front panel which often disconnects my headphones for some reason so I plug into my Scarlet interface. I have audio-technical ATH-AD700X heaphones and while everything sounds great I have a feeling I am missing out on a better audio experience without realizing it but again... I am a complete idiot when it comes to audio. Any recommendations? Play lots of games and listen to lots of music so want to make sure I'm getting the most out of what I have. All I have done is plug in my Scarlet, download the drivers, and plug in the headphones. No adjustments in Windows or anything nor do I even have Supreme FX installed currently.

Solution
Speakers/Monitors connected to the 2i2?

2i2 the default sound source in playback devices?

If you make sure nothing audio related is plugged into motherboard you should be fine.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

If you make sure nothing audio related is plugged into motherboard you should be fine.

Solution

Peebugger95

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

-I do have a pair of JBL speakers but I'm in an apartment so actually trying to sell those.

-Yep

-Nothing audio related plugged into motherboard.

Thank you for the reply!!!

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

Your quick and detailed response prove you've earned a promotion from audio noob.

With that, you are getting the most out of the audio.

Are you using any DAW's for music production? You should for your guitar work.

Peebugger95

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

Haha thank you! Yeah I use Reaper for my DAW. Definitely still have a lot to learn and unfortunately I've been working a lot lately so haven't had as much time to play with it as I would like.