Audio Technica ATH-M20X with Smartphones.

DarkMisanthrope

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014
Hello, I own a Nokia Lumia 625 and I am planning on buying a pair on Audio Technica-M20X, and I'm not sure if the phone can power the impedance of 47ohms.
Sorry if I sound ridiculous but I have no idea about that. Thanks.

Solution
i'm not sure about 47ohms for the m20x however i can say that smartphones handle the 38ohm of the m50s perfectly fine as i have a pair.

if your phone cannot handle it then you could always get a fiio portable amp however for that extra money spent you might as well get a better pair of headphones.

now i cant guarantee that even 38ohm is fine on your smartphone (as specifications across models vary) but i can say that it works fine on my (now older) htc droid incredible 1, ipod classic, asus laptop and many other sources without requiring an amp. volume levels are deafening before i hit the max volume output for the devices as well.

if i had to guess about the 47ohm i would say that you *might* have trouble with some devices but i...
i'm not sure about 47ohms for the m20x however i can say that smartphones handle the 38ohm of the m50s perfectly fine as i have a pair.

if your phone cannot handle it then you could always get a fiio portable amp however for that extra money spent you might as well get a better pair of headphones.

now i cant guarantee that even 38ohm is fine on your smartphone (as specifications across models vary) but i can say that it works fine on my (now older) htc droid incredible 1, ipod classic, asus laptop and many other sources without requiring an amp. volume levels are deafening before i hit the max volume output for the devices as well.

if i had to guess about the 47ohm i would say that you *might* have trouble with some devices but i cant give you a solid yes/no on the matter.

if you live in the usa you can get a pair on ebay for $99 (about double what you would pay for a m20x on amazon) but they are much much nicer overall.

i bought my brother a pair of m30s for xmas this year (again, i own m50s) and there is definitely a significant difference in quality. its very worthwhile to upgrade if its in your budget.

Solution

DarkMisanthrope

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014

Thank you very much, I found this helpful. I also won't go for the m50s since, 1. I don't really have the money for it (110 pounds) 2. I can easily settle for the m20x since I don't need much better quality than that. 3. Beats by dre solo HD have an impedance of 45ohms and a lot of people use them, so I will hope 47 won't be too much. Also I'm mostly intending to use them with my computer, electronic drumkit and Guitar amp so I will live with them not working on my mobile phone.
Thanks a lot anyway :)