Audio video setup

Billybaldin

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Hey guys. I think I might have multiple questions here. I will try to keep from rambling. The reason I am here is to try to get the best picture and sound quality from all of my equipment.
First my equipment.
1. LG OLED65C6P - just purchased
2. Vizio SB4551-D5 - just purchased.
3. DISH Hopper 3
4. Mac mini
5. PS4-original
6. Sony blu-ray.
Ok, so the tv only has 3 HDMI inputs, one of them being ARC. I am going to need an HDMI switch and would like some recommendations. I have tried to do some research and still I can't find one which I think would be decent at a reasonable.

1.So given my equipment, which switch or specs for a switch would give me the best results?
2. Should I switch into the sound bar then ARC to the TV from there, or vice versa?
3. Is there someway I can tell if I am getting the best sound and picture from a particular source?
I have seen some expensive equipment but I'd rather just download something and eyeball the video the best I can are there test tones I can get to try out the sound?

Ok that's it for now I think. Thank you in advance for any response.
Have a great day.
Bill

Solution
for multiple sources i would have just bought a standard home theater system with an actual av-receiver. multiple sources are not an issue in that case. soundbars and htib systems tend to be limited on connectivity.

the first thing i would check is that your soundbar is actually 5.1. it could be that it accepts only stereo input and upmixes to 5.1 with pro logic or it may accept 5.1 optical. check, as it can not be assumed. with that said, not all devices support 5.1 over optical. if your device doesnt support 5.1 input then it doesnt really matter if you get a device below which supports 5.1 but be aware what you hear will never be true surround.

what would be easiest without returns/spending much $?

A) find a 4:1 hdmi switch box...
for multiple sources i would have just bought a standard home theater system with an actual av-receiver. multiple sources are not an issue in that case. soundbars and htib systems tend to be limited on connectivity.

the first thing i would check is that your soundbar is actually 5.1. it could be that it accepts only stereo input and upmixes to 5.1 with pro logic or it may accept 5.1 optical. check, as it can not be assumed. with that said, not all devices support 5.1 over optical. if your device doesnt support 5.1 input then it doesnt really matter if you get a device below which supports 5.1 but be aware what you hear will never be true surround.

what would be easiest without returns/spending much $?

A) find a 4:1 hdmi switch box with optical audio extraction/output in 5.1. all inputs into the box, hdmi out to the tv. get arc support as well if you want tv audio to be played on the speakers.

B)if a is not possible, use a hdmi 4:1 switch followed by a hdmi audio extractor with passthrough and 5.1 optical support. again, if you want tv audio to be possible on speakers i'd get arc support.

Solution