AutoCAD vs SolidWorks vs ?

Lancexxx

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello guys i have tried autoCAD [the 2D version] however, now i am in need of another software that designs 3D diagrams as i am doing intensive CAD work such as designing plane engines and electrical circuits so that will require some 3D work espacially when designing plane engines.

Here are some of the tools in the CAD software that i require:

-Exploded view diagrams
-Easy to use CAD user interface
-Advance simulation/Design validation [ such as powering up the engine and flight test. etc]
-ability to draw vector diagrams
-read pcb data as 3D parts

Hope you guys are able to provide with some CAD software that will be beneficial to my use

Thanks in advance

Lancexxx

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Took a look at those already however I would like an upgrade for my current auto cad and I do not mind paying for it so if possible can suggest a cad program that has the aforementioned features

sharkcicle

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

I am a regular Solidworks user and former CATIA and AutoCAD user and can tell you that for your first two requirements, Solidworks is the best I've used. It isn't very good at 'advanced' simulations, though. For something like an aircraft engine I would opt for a standalone package like Ansys (for CFD and FEA) or Fluent (CFD only). For simpler stuff, the Solidworks FEA package is decent, but the CFD is just terrible.

As far as drawing vector diagrams, I'd stick with AutoCAD or look for a free 2-d program.

To read PCB data, I know there are (very expensive) packages that allow direct communication between ECAD and MCAD programs, but you probably don't need one of those. The easiest way is to save the PCB as a step file (.stp or .step) and import it that way. Any moden 3d CAD package is capable of this.