Dell XPS 15 9560 vs 9570 for uni student

Bilal_24

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Hi guys,

Since the 9570 is out with the 6-core i7 8750h and the 1050ti, the price difference between the two models ends up being about 200 dollars USD. The older configuration has i7 7700hq and the gtx 1050.

I am an engineering student and I want to get a laptop for university assignments, some basic software use such as Matlab, Microstran and maybe basic AutoCAD work, nothing too extreme. I also would like to keep FIFA 18, Fallout 4 and maybe another couple games on hand so I can do some light 1080p Med to high gaming (not too big on graphics quality, fps count for better) when I get bored. Apart from that, just the standard use of Microsoft excel, word, powerpoint and basic internet browsing like Netflix and that for day to day use.

So my question therefore is, is it worth paying the extra 200 USD for my proposed use of the laptop? Or should I get the 6 core, 1050ti newer varaint? Won't the older model do everything I require? and that way I can use the money to get bigger storage (1TB on the older model vs 512GB on the newer one)

Last question, which has been bugging me a lot, will the newer model throttle? Im assuming it will, its the same body but with components that have higher performance throughput and the GPU actually has higher TDP as well, so yea guys plz advise, im really confused!

I dont have much experience with laptops, never purchased one before

Solution
worth is very subjective metric.
you definitely get much more for those 200$. IMHO, if you can spend those 200, it will make your experience better for longer period of time as both extra 2 cores and a better GPU will be able to deal with your current and future tasks/games better.

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
worth is very subjective metric.
you definitely get much more for those 200$. IMHO, if you can spend those 200, it will make your experience better for longer period of time as both extra 2 cores and a better GPU will be able to deal with your current and future tasks/games better.

Solution
May 16, 2018
I ordered the 9560 and returned it, after i discovered the extreme latency on the FHD monitor. I would recommend to STAY AWAY from the 9560 model! I think there are improvements on the latency on the 9570 but i am not sure, only saw a table from random source showing an improvement.
I used the 9560 for reading scientific articles amongst other things also as a student engineer and even scrolling through the text made my head feel dizzy because of the extreme ghosting I experienced. At my desktop computer at home I have a monitor with above average latency (slow), but that is nothing compared to the 9560 so its not me being picky, however others have reported that is dosent bother them, but if you consider to buy I would recommend looking into this, watch som youtube videos or look around on the net.

Pranshu_2

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
hey,
I have the 9560. I can easily assure you that it will be able to do all that you mentioned easily the time you are in college. I am also an engineering student.
I should also tell that, recently I have noticed pretty bad throttling while gaming on my PC so as long as Dell hasn't done any new changes/arrangements for that more firepower in the 9570, I think it is going to throttle in a similar way, but that's just my opinion.

Also, if you go with the 9570, you will be getting the latest CPU in the market and the gtx 1050ti is much more future-proof.. you can always add storage later on (I had to make do with just 256gb ssd - lack of funds :( )

May 24, 2018
Engineer here, Just got the 9570, Reasons?

1. Future Proof, latest hardware best hardware
2. Like mbonde080 said, Ghosting, the old screens had terrible ghosting. And if you have ever used a high refresh rate monitor, you WONT be able to handle this.
3. They apparently fixed the throttling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTPF9IIX2w
4. I could go on, but I am just too excited to receive the laptop in the mail

Jul 7, 2018

Yes this is true to an extent. This should be based on your needs and not future proof.
Regardless if you get the latest system, in a couple of years the new tech will be significantly faster.
One thing to consider would be the needs of the power. The last generation 7700HQ chips handle single threaded tasks and quad core optimized tasks better then even the i9 processors because their individual cores are larger / stronger. However for things like rendering or video editing, which typically utilize all threads, an i9 would come out on top. If you look at several benchmarks comparing equal i7 Kaby Lake processors with i9 coffee lake processors, you will see that in some tests they are the same or in some cases less powerful.

The LCD Panels are exactly the same in the 9570 as the 9560.
If you go to http://www.panelook.com/index.php.
You will see that 99% of laptops have LCD panels have a 25ms or 27ms response time.
That is why you have the ghosting, its not "old screens" per say because even ones that just have been released are coming with 25ms. Currently the only laptops that have panels that have 5ms or lower are gaming laptops. These laptops are also larger laptops like 17 inch systems. There are some 15 inch laptops that do have lower response times but they also have more components and there would be no way to get a thin edge to edge screen like the XPS has. The tech simply has not advanced that far to get both thin and fast in laptop panels. Also FYI, typically speaking the 4K screens are the ones that have the slightly higher 27ms response times. People think the 4K panels must be better since they look so crisp but that is simply not the case.

Jul 8, 2018

DEX I was thinking of buying the XPS 15 with the 4 K resolution. Are you telling me its not worth getting it 4K? Also, would you rather the 9550 or the 9560

Jul 20, 2018
No .. the 4K display will drain your battery faster vs a FHD. And you wouldn't need a 4K for any of the college courses either. Lastly, you saved at least $300 going with FHD.