Automatically sent Gmail account responses - what's going on?

eagors93

Estimable
May 17, 2015
Hello every one,
I've noticed that my alternative Gmail account has been sending automatic responses with blank e-mails for 10 days now. It's been sending a blank text to the sender (though it altered some of the e-mails to gibberish looking ones, don't know why):

http://i66.tinypic.com/23t111h.png

It seems that it has started since I logged in to the account on 8 July. Anyone has a clue what's going on?

EDIT: It turned out someone/something has turned on the vacation reply in Gmail settings. I've already changed the password, but it was already tough, how could someone compromise it? I don't think I could have misclicked and turned that option on.

Solution
Have you shared this issue with the Gmail customer support folks?

Is there any chance you left your system logged-in and accessible and one of your friends pranked you? Since you said this was an alternate account, I assume you get notices on your primary account when changes are made. If so, did you get any notices?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you shared this issue with the Gmail customer support folks?

Is there any chance you left your system logged-in and accessible and one of your friends pranked you? Since you said this was an alternate account, I assume you get notices on your primary account when changes are made. If so, did you get any notices?

Solution

eagors93

Estimable
May 17, 2015
I don't recall getting any notices. No one could have had access to my account, I'm 99% sure of it. What's most important is I figured it out, I guess there is not much more to it. For the moment I had no clue what could have happened and immediately created this topic. What tripped me out the most were the weird looking e-mail addresses, as seen on the screenshot above, but I suspect it's just how they get transformed by automatic response system (don't really know why). They were the main reason I thought it was some kind of virus.

The only explanation I have is that I have clicked it unintentionally. It's the only logical explanation for me. If it comes back, I'll report it to the Gmail support. Thanks for the feedback!