AVG Free/Malware question

acctingman

Estimable
Oct 21, 2014
So, like an idiot I downloaded AVG (free) and for some reason it's now popping up all these malware adds. I can't uninstall it for some reason.

Also, I get this Windows File Manader (not Manager) message popping up too. No clue what that is.

Is there a virus/malware remover program someone can recommend? (hopefully free! :)

I'm not above just re-installing Windows and starting over. I have an external HD to store all my stuff if need be, but I'd rather avoid that.

Thanks

Solution
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Install the free version, update and run. You may also want to boot ans scan in safe mode once this software is up-to-date.

I've seen AVG lookalikes that bombard the user with system messages, scan now, update this, yadda yadda. Sounds like you were hit with a trojan horse virus. Malwarebyte's should identify the threats and quarantine/delete them.

Edit: You may also want to boot in safe mode w/ networking for the purpose of uninstalling all of AVG. You can choose to reinstall AVG Free, but pay very close attention to where you are downloading the installer from. If it isn't directly from AVG's website or CNET, don't download it.

theyeti87

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Install the free version, update and run. You may also want to boot ans scan in safe mode once this software is up-to-date.

I've seen AVG lookalikes that bombard the user with system messages, scan now, update this, yadda yadda. Sounds like you were hit with a trojan horse virus. Malwarebyte's should identify the threats and quarantine/delete them.

Edit: You may also want to boot in safe mode w/ networking for the purpose of uninstalling all of AVG. You can choose to reinstall AVG Free, but pay very close attention to where you are downloading the installer from. If it isn't directly from AVG's website or CNET, don't download it.

Solution

johnnyb105

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Try malware bytes or bitdefender to scan your system... Use the malewarebytes to scan your system first like said above do it in safe mode and you should be able to uninstall avg from system control panel.... then Use free Bitdefender for your antivirus program hope this helps.