Best malware antivirus security compatible with xp and hopefully free.

nolamacfour

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I had one antivirus protection which we just removed from my computer. It constantly interrupted with messages about hacking and found 79 passwords. Gave information about computers held for ransom and offering packages to prevent it.
Can you recommend several anti virus, malware, and security software that are compatible with xp. (I have an 18 inch Wacom tablet and countless software/author/digital art and architecture programmes which are not compatible higher.)
I had McAffee, Malwarebytes, and AVG.
I was cautioned by my techie that the one I had for years had been bought out and now related to spyware.
The second part, are there any free versions?
Third, this website rejected my password and I tried repeatedly, and it kept saying I have sent a password reset email. Nothing showed up all day with several repeat tries.Tom sends me frequent emails to a specific email. I saw a choice..login with Gmail and thought, I never use that but tried anyway. One click and it changed my username too. So...will this now make Tom's information go to my Gmail which I never use, instead of my daily hotmail?

Solution
I have an XP system here that uses CCleaner, Malwarebytes (after a week it goes to a free manual mode), Advanced SystemCare, and the Chinese IOBit Suite (which I'm not keen on from a Nation State security product aspect). The last one burns a lot of CPU at times. I get them from CNET Downloads. Only select high download products, with a 4-star or higher User Rating.

Just remember that a single security product does not secure any machine, you need a multi-prong approach.

studmoose

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
I have an XP system here that uses CCleaner, Malwarebytes (after a week it goes to a free manual mode), Advanced SystemCare, and the Chinese IOBit Suite (which I'm not keen on from a Nation State security product aspect). The last one burns a lot of CPU at times. I get them from CNET Downloads. Only select high download products, with a 4-star or higher User Rating.

Just remember that a single security product does not secure any machine, you need a multi-prong approach.

Solution

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
the best security is not doing silly stuff, I've never run an AV (exception, Windows defender is turned on by default, sometimes I turn it off) , never had a virus, trojan, malware. Occasional check with Malware bytes.

But then I'm also not plying the web with Windows NT 3.51 either.