AVG, Windows XP and CTB-Locker

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Good Morning all,

Last week we had a machine get infected with CTB-Locker. I promptly removed the machine from the network, got what little files were left, swapped the hard drive and upgraded the machine to windows 7.

Now, we use AVG for business, we do daily full pc scans and it failed to pick up any trace of CTB, or anything for that matter, I mounted the drive on another machine and scanned with Kaspersky Internet Suite (My own license) and it found several files.

Now ive been in touch with a reseller who is telling me that its not necessarily that AVG that is at fault, but windows XP.

I know that XP is no longer supported, and have 2 pc's left to upgrade, but for machines that only get used to run an old Dos application (sage line 100) is it really a big deal?

to run sage 100 on a windows 7 machine i have to use xp mode which is kind of defeating the object of upgrading the PC's in the first place.

So... thoughts and suggestions please.

FALC0N

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
CTB locker doesn't just affect XP. Not sure why your reseller chose to blame it. AVG was installed to protect the system and it failed.

As for continued use, you haven't provided any information that would dissuade me from using it, were I in your position. I would shore up the security though.

bobmanuk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I've also seen a member of staffs laptop today had windows 8 and mcafee installed and even they were infected with ctb.

This area of the network is behind 2 firewalls which we are trying to enhance the security on, but persuading the company to invest a good €900 on something they can't see is difficult.