AVI Mux application barely using processor

Teemsan

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I'm using AVI Mux GUI 1.7.8.3 The Alex Noe build. When I run it, it only uses 1 to 3 % CPU, as viewed in Win Task Mgr > Performance. As a result demuxes \ muxes take a very long time.

I'm running an i7 4790 & 32 GB RAM, so there's plenty available. I'm also running Win 7 64 bit. The app itself is only 32 bit, but still, other 32 bit programs can access a much higher percentage of the CPU. I'm not running anything else other than chrome and Thunderbird email.

I tried setting the priority of AVI Mux as 'High' in Win Task Mgr, but still no difference. Any way to get it to use more CPU so it will take less time?

Solution
All depends on what's happening. Most likely whatever you're doing is disk IO heavy, and that just can't be fixed unless you get a different program or set up a ramdrive as your work drive (copy everything to the ramdrive and target your cache and output there too)
All depends on what's happening. Most likely whatever you're doing is disk IO heavy, and that just can't be fixed unless you get a different program or set up a ramdrive as your work drive (copy everything to the ramdrive and target your cache and output there too)

Solution

Teemsan

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

I want to avoid a ramdrive. Believe it or not, I'm constantly near maxing the 32GB. With my editing workflow I'll often have 3 or 4 instances of Sony Vegas open, each with 6GB reserved for Dynamic preview. So that'd be 24GB alone - even at idle. I need overhead for other things. I even have 24 GB in Virtual Memory on a scratch disk. Windows and all programs are on an 850 EVO, and then the extra SSD scratch disk. Normally my media sourceis on a WD Black HDD, but you gave me an idea and that is to move the current project media over to blank space on the SSD scratch disk as both source & destination, and see if that makes a difference.