Back up constant power source for a car stereo

ninerfan1

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
Hi Everyone, I have a back up power source question. Actually. A low voltage continuous power source question. I have an old car stereo that I use to tailgate I use a 750-watt inverter off the car battery for power during our parties. The stereo is powered by a computer power unit I modified to power the stereo. However, when I power down I lose all the settings. Though it's not a huge problem to fix the settings (not presets, but power settings, aux settings, output settings), it is inconvenient. I want to connect a continuous power source so I don't lose my settings when I power down. I was thinking of connecting a battery pack (an old r/c car AAA power pack) but I'm not sure how to do it. I'm thinking it might be as simple as connecting the red wire to the yellow continuous wire and black to ground, but I'm not sure if that would work. Would I need more power? Thanks,

John

wss_003

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
11.6 volts min to keep your presets and thats not an exact number just a ballpark in actuality 12.0 to 14.0 volts is desired as far as amperage it will be little to none less that 0.125 amps but if you can get that and hook it to the constant wire and ground it will save your settings

pauls3743

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I've seen a 9v square battery being used to do this. I don't know how long the battery lasts though. If it's something that doesn't get used often I would just live with resetting the car radio.