Backlight failing or not. Please help!

meghanmeghan

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I have an HP laptop I bought about a year and a half ago .. just recently my screen goes dim for a second, and then it comes back .. I am not very computer savvy and am just confused what I am supposed to do. Also the little plastic piece on the back that hides the wires is starting to lift up .. maybe from a fall or something. Would this have anything to do with it?

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I don't think the plastic piece lifting up has anything to do with your issue but it is possible that if the laptop did take a hard hit something could've been damaged. When the screen dims are you doing anything like moving it around, or can it happen while the computer is sitting there untouched? If it is the former then that indicates something may be loose but if it randomly goes dim without any intervention then it's possible the back lighting may be failing.

If you think the back lighting may be failing I would research online to see if this is a common problem and how easy it is to replace components causing the failure. If you're not comfortable with that and the PC is out of warranty then you'll have to spend the money to get someone look at it and repair it.