Backup Software Recommendation

conceptj

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I have a small business that stores patient data and many other things, I am using a backup software that came with my router but its not copying everything. I thought as long as I select the folder I wanted to backup the program copies everything to it. I tried to load this copied data into our new office server and there are a lot of data missing despite the backup saying it is 100% complete. Is this a software limitation or am I doing something wrong? Also I would like recommendation that can provide a complete back up so that when I load the files all the data is the same and not missing. I am also willing to pay for a good one.

I am NOT looking for an online solution. My data is about 40GB and will continue to grow and I have no interest in waiting for this to upload nor will I look forward to download this on my 5MB connection. I don't mind if its through a usb external drive or a drive connected to my router (Netgear R7000). Local backup only, thank you.

casper1973

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
What kind of data are you backing up? Some of the most common are...

- Office documents (Word, Excel, PDF's etc)
- Emails (Outlook?)
- Accounting data (Sage, Quickbooks etc)
- Any specific programs? SQL/Oracle Databases?

The reason you are missing data is likely because your current backup program doesn't utilise VSS or a similar technology. This means any files open or in use when the backup runs will NOT be backed up.

When you say server is it actually a server OS (ie. 2003, 2008 R2, 2012 R2 etc) or just Vista/7/8 acting as a file server? If it's actually a server OS what other roles does it handle (File Server, Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, RD Gateway etc)?

Sorry for all the questions but there is no point giving you advice before knowing a bit more about your setup.

+1 for getting a professional in if your budget allows. Backups are something you need to get right because when you need them - you REALLY need them.

conceptj

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Not to be rude, but I am somewhat familiar with most of how the tech works that is in place at my office, the reality is an IT is not gonna come out for a one time visit and charge me just to set this up (everything is running perfect). I can't pay an IT professional a yearly salary that they are worth either. Everything is in a locked room with passwords and everything, it just so happen when trying to upgrade the computer that has the data, my methods for backing up have not been 100%. Some appointments are missing, etc. If you don't mind, i'm looking for a solution that does not need an IT all the time. When I transfer this data to my new computer, it all has to be there. It's not a problem that an IT pro will come out for.

conceptj

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Sorry I left some things out. Data is on windows XP through a networked drive. Trying to move it to windows 7 64 bit which will still be a networked drive as well. I have X-rays and my appointments are managed on the computer as well, its like a sophisticated calendar app that patients are placed each hour, but when I load my supposedly "backed up" data, not all appointments are there (future appointments).

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
The backup program is likely having problems with files that are opened for writing when the backup runs. I use Acronis True Image Backup & Recovery to keep vital information backed up and restore as needed.

Some versions have had problems, so you have to be careful about updates, but it is a pretty solid tool. The price for a desktop OS version is between $30 and $50 - and you can download a trial edition direct from Acronis. It can backup disks, folders, or individual files and has a scheduler as well.

BTW: I am thinking of a personal solution here, not a business grade one.

casper1973

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Well before anything - I don't know the law where you live but over here you would fail a security audit for storing patient data on XP because it's considered an insecure OS since Microsoft dropped it.

It sounds like your setup is fairly simple. I would just go for something like Acronis Backup - http://www.acronis.com/en-gb/business/backup/workstation/

Get a couple of external hard drives and rotate them every day or few days. Try to keep one off-site (ie. take it home) while the other is on-site. That way even if your office is burgled or has a fire you still have a backup.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Any IT professional that attempts to do this after a one time visit is not a professional. Just sayin'.

Do you want to manage your business, or do you want to handle the backend stuff (backups, etc) as well?
As I tell my pilot customers...."I don't tell you how to fly, don't tell me how to create your software. Just tell me what you need (after I ask about 800 questions)."
It does not have to be a full time person, but as you state...what you're doing now is not working.

Patient data is not something to be trifled with.

conceptj

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

I am aware its not legal now, which is why im in the process of moving the data. My setup is not like a big business and as you said very simple, just data sent to a networked drive. Everything on the networked drive is what I am backing up. My windows 7 computer is ready to go and I load this data on there and to my disappointment, some things are missing (so its not backing up everything). There is like over 200,000 files at about 40GB right now and will continue to rise. I think simply dragging and dropping this networked folder into a usb drive is to simple of a task to consider it sufficient (which I now come to realize). Because of this, I just want recommendations on how to go about moving 200,000 files (40GB) worth of data into a new computer. Keep in mind it has already worked for me (all programs ran fine), its just not all the data is there.

I will ask around if anyone knows an IT professional for my backup while I'm at it.

Thanks.

casper1973

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
This software you use for appointments - do they not have a technical support department?

Would make your life a lot easier if you could just call them and ask the correct procedure for migrating data to a new PC. I dealt with what sounds like a similar system in a dental surgery last year - manages appointments, notes, x-rays etc.

5 minutes on the phone to their tech support and they setup a remote support session. Then I sat and watched while they migrated the data for me.