crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I'm implementing a backup server on my network and need a good backup program. I want it to reside on the server, not on the clients, and perform backups of specific folders (mostly Documents and Settings). Anyone have any good experience? Norton Ghost is good on the client side, but only allows entire drives. I've also tried Syncback, but it doesn't give me previous backups, it really only synchronizes. I'd love it if someone had some good first-hand experience...

Thanks!

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
SyncBack is similar in nature and we use it for other tasks. This looks like a good program, I'll need to check it out. Anyone have experience with Cobian Backup 8 (Black Moon)?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Also, Goodsync's E Mail support is very good. When I first got it had some questions on setting it up and there response was very timely and good, clear answers, but that was probably a year or so ago. If you do decide to try this program, suggest you turn off the warnings, set it to Ignore, for deleted files, questionable files, and substantial differences in the Property section for a particular backup. It's a pain to deal with the warnings and have never had a problem backing anything up with the Ignore settings. Backing up work files (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint) music, photos, and video, to different drives and computers but looking over the server info, some of the set up would be different but looks like it's just one program. Not sure how the licensing works for a server but with a single license I can backup to different computers even when changes are made on a second computer. I have multi licenses because I have it installed on 4 computers because I have back up drives on all but the laptop as well as an external drive. Guess I'm a bit paranoid :)

webkrish

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
You are not Paranoid at all, I just lost my years worth of work! Yes that is why I am at TOMS now. I always ignored the need of backup relying on hard drives too much faith you know! that they won't die and run forever. That is not the case Backup backup Backup :)

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Figure might as well post here:

Would this GoodSync back up my entire drive that is spit into 3 partitions and back it all up on a second hard drive?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

If you want to back up an entire drive including OS/programs, you should look at something like Acronis True Image. GoodSync is very good for backing up data but not designed for OS/programs. It will back up data to a second drive

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Is Acronis True Image really good and/or the best of this type for backup? Also, will it completely back up my Windows XP while I am in Vista, and vice versa?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

Acronis is very good, have never had a problem with it. Copied several old drives to new drives including OS and machine booted right into Windows. Not sure I understand your 2nd question. Acronis will image a drive or partition so you should be able to image the partition with XP while you're in Vista. If you image the drive, then it should image everything on the drive