Solved! Bad Rabbit should I be concerned?

edddyyysss

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
Users are advised to disable WMI service to prevent the malware from spreading over your network. Would this really protect from this particular virus or it's just another way how to 'open doors' for other viruses?

Solution
The bad rabbit ransomware disguises itself into an Adobe Flash installer. If you install it, you'll get infected.

So, as long as you stay away from suspicious looking links, ads, emails, etc. You should be fine. Try to avoid freeware programs as much as you can too.

Using a security program would be a plus. But, common sense should be enough. I've only been using Windows Defender as my Antivirus and MalwareFox as my Anti-Malware for months now. Stay safe mate.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
The bad rabbit ransomware disguises itself into an Adobe Flash installer. If you install it, you'll get infected.

So, as long as you stay away from suspicious looking links, ads, emails, etc. You should be fine. Try to avoid freeware programs as much as you can too.

Using a security program would be a plus. But, common sense should be enough. I've only been using Windows Defender as my Antivirus and MalwareFox as my Anti-Malware for months now. Stay safe mate.

Solution

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
We've been protecting against BadRabbit since it first started spreading :) As long as you don't install the fake Adobe app, you should be fine, but I would strongly recommend you arm yourself with software that can block these sorts of things.

If you want to learn more about BadRabbit, our threat labs put together a detailed writeup on how it works and how it spread: https://blog.avast.com/its-rabbit-season-badrabbit-ransomware-infects-airports-and-subways

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

And always have a backup. You can use something like AOMEI Free Backupper.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Agreed. Backups are very important too. I personally just backup my important files to the cloud or to an external HDD. I've got Linux installed on an external drive just in case that I my whole Windows OS becomes non functional.

In the end, that's a matter of personal preference and needs.Situational too. Some people backup their whole drive including their OS while others only keep their important files.