Ballmer Admits Windows Phone 7 Sales Are Disappointing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]If Microsoft wants Windows Phone to sell, they need to do the same thing as the ATRIX 4G, basically be able to turn it into a laptop or run your Desktop from a cell phone. Yes, that would mean your mobile phone would have to be able to play Crysis.[/citation]
And that again is hardware, not software, what exactly do you think Microsoft does as a company?

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I have a HTC HD7 and I bought it without trying WP7 at all...I totally love it, it's unique, which is a nice change for Microsoft.

It is lacking in many areas but you have to keep in mind it is a first release, every little niggle I have with the operating system has been covered in Mango, so I really can't wait for Mango release.

It is easy to see why sales are lacking though, firstly they are new to the scene, that's always not going to help sales, secondly you have the cliche iSuperior users that would never deviate away from their beloved Apple. Then the other side of the market is owned by Android users who in general are casual and don't care what operating system they are using, as long as it is good, most of which probably wouldn't even know what WP is, nor would they care because their phone does everything they want.

I don't watch a lot of TV and Ads are banned on my Mozilla, but I can't say I've ever seen a WP advert, but I've seen plenty of iPhone adverts. They could help themselves by sticking ads in Windows Live Messenger or something.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]neon871[/nom]Blue screen of death on my smart phone just didn't appeal to me so I went Android[/citation]

The black ones do, then?

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
That is cause Microsoft does not know how to market things anymore.

A few years ago they where going to do Retail stores similar to the Apple Store. What happen to that idea?

Come on Microsoft despite what critics think, you have great products. No one knows them because you won't market them.

volkii

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
haplo602 09/16/2011 7:27 AM

can WP7 sync directly to outlook ? no exchange or any stupid cloud but direct Outlook ? That's why I don't have Android.

That is incorrect. WP 7 cannot connect directly with Outlook. You must use a Windows Live account to sync Outlook, then sync the Windows Live to the Phone. I returned my WP7 phone for that exact reason. I live in a rural area where Cell service and Wi-Fi are not always present. I need the ability for a direct connection. There is a group of people that want this feature back and Microsoft is really not that interested.

As far as Android not syncing to Outlook, get an HTC phone. I just set up a Verizon one for my mom to replace her Blackberry. HTC's sync program to Outlook works great.

volkii

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
haplo602 09/16/2011 7:27 AM

can WP7 sync directly to outlook ? no exchange or any stupid cloud but direct Outlook ? That's why I don't have Android.

That is incorrect. WP 7 cannot connect directly with Outlook. You must use a Windows Live account to sync Outlook, then sync the Windows Live to the Phone. I returned my WP7 phone for that exact reason. I live in a rural area where Cell service and Wi-Fi are not always present. I need the ability for a direct connection. There is a group of people that want this feature back and Microsoft is really not that interested.

As far as Android not syncing to Outlook, get an HTC phone. I just set up a Verizon one for my mom to replace her Blackberry. HTC's sync program to Outlook works great.

shiboe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
There really is nothing to worry about, and he (and MS) need to have some faith in their product. The big point to be made is, contracts are skewing the sales. 2 years after the release is when we will know how WP7 is fairing in the market, until then many, myself included, are immune to however great the device may be, since we are chained to an existing contract.

Everything I've heard from actual owners as positive, and if they can maintain this perception through the contract stalemate period, it is going to pay off big time. That said, I wouldn't expect android to sit idly by now that WP7 has shown you can be innovative and not be Apple.

IMO, WP7 needs to continue to refine it's pretty interface to perfection (that really is a large selling point), and keep adding useful features while NOT bloating the system (ie putting efficiency of code first). That's the phone I want, and it's available in 1.5 years, I'll be a customer.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]neon871[/nom]Blue screen of death on my smart phone just didn't appeal to me so I went Android[/citation]
I agree, though admittedly the dreaded and seemingly common "Force Close" isn't that much better.

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I cant wait to get a windows phone 7 HTC Titan! Cell phone carriers are also hindering it because there promoting iphones and android phone more!

G

How can anyone like WP7?? It is most obsolete and least functional phone OS.
I have HTC Trophy and it's annoying. You can't transfer files through Bluetooth. Doesn't have file manager, so you cant group files into folders. You must sync through Zune, cant use it as USB storage. Marketplace is poor.
Its good only for music, videos and occasional web surfing.
For serious work avoid this OS.
Hopefully I didnt buy HTC Trophy but got it in my company, and I am returning it asap.
Will get Sensation or something else with which I can actually work.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Not surprising. What Android has accomplished since its release is nothing short of amazing. With ICS due out in a few months consolidating OS's, Android will only get stronger.

Look towards Android Tablets/Phones to change the console gaming scene as well.

As a hardcore PC user, I find myself not as enthusiastic about computer tech as I use to since I got my Tablet and Bionic. Landscape is certainly changing, slowly.....but surely.

G

Disapointing?! What did they expect?! Let us see : No front cam for videocalls, no memory expansion slot, a habit of releasing devices & updates "a little late", and plays catch up with other mobile OS all the time

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its odd actually, the win phone OS deserves better. It stable, fast and secure. Our company ditched both the android and iphones in service and replaced them with the win os ones and it seems that the most majority liked the switch to the win os.

G

It doesn't matter what your company or you think of WP7 when no one is willing to use or buy it now. Even the man leading Microsoft admitted he doesn't love where wp7 is regarding the sale. The truth he'll have to realized is that most consumers who are willing to spend a lot of money on a cellular phone ultimately want a unique design of their own phones. Iphone is an exception because most of its (low technical knowledge) users love its design and its hefty price tag is something they can brag about. They buy iphone based on their experience on apple products and a lot of low computer skill people are getting it too because having an iphone has somehow become a sign of prestige. But iphone success is about to end now because almost all of its followers have gotten it already. The only way they can generate more income is to release new version of iphone as frequently as possible. On the other hand, people who generally use windows product enjoy something versatile and technical. Right now android is leading toward that direction and they are able to steal a lot of potential wp7 users. So like I said before you give freedom to user and you'll get that boost in wp7 sale you've been looking for. No one will get a 400 dollars phone that they can't even change the ring tone to suit their own taste.

Swindez95

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Well I have tried messing with a windows phone before and to me they are nothing to rave about. My sister in fact owns one of the first windows OS smartphones, the samsung omnia and it was just too complicated to figure out the file system on it and where it would put objects downloaded from text messages and such. I just upgraded from a standard mulitmedia phone to a HTC Merge and I have to say that I am an Android person all the way. In fact I would love to see android offered as an OS for PC's. Its just so easy and simple to use and it just works.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Ex-BF[/nom]Disapointing?! What did they expect?! Let us see : No front cam for videocalls, no memory expansion slot,[/citation]
And again with the gripes about hardware and somehow this being the fault of the operating system, as if you were to put Android on the same handset it would magically grow a front facing camera.

Microsoft does not make the phone hardware, for Christ sake, can you all get that through your thick skulls?

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
What the hell does Balmer expect?? "MANGO??" I don't know about you guys but the first image that comes to my mind is that faggy fruitcake character on Saturday Night Live, and that's not quite the image I want to be associated with.

"Terminator" would have been a much better name choice. Try leaving the product naming to people who can relate to 90% of the population and ya might sell some more product.

DUH

G

I have had my WM7 almost since launch. It has been an excelent phone. The integration of windows live has allowed my small busness (Remodeling) to have exchange type email for my employees, without us having to pay to have an exchange server hosted. The facebook integration is great, makes getting in and out of the phone quick and simple, and with the last update including things like copy&paste it shored up a lot of the minor issues I did have with it. The next mango update looks like it will fill in the rest of the gaps, and offer things that are becoming standard (like support for front facing camera), and even offer a step up in things like voice commands.

I do have to say, to thrasher... You have issue with "mango" but not "ice cream sandwich", really? Oh well, just seems a very silly gripe.

G

if it is such a good phone os, why does everybody go for android? So there has to be something wrong with the mass, the phone, or your way of thinking. Please, try your best to answer my question, Kendrose.

Status
Not open for further replies.