Ballmer: Xbox 360 Isn't A Gaming Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well one day the studios will cave in and offer higher bitrate downloads and blu ray will be pointless. Until then there is always ripping it to your hard drive and watching on the Xbox through that.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]Really then where's the bluray player?[/citation]

This man. This man has my internets.

Honestly. It might make a good living room family entertainment centre if this is 1999. However this is 2011, we want Blu-Ray. We want 2TB HDD's. We Want a web browser. We don't want to preface every instruction with the word "Xbox". We don't want to wave our arms around like an idiot. We want choice, We want Entertainment.

If the Xbox is a place to watch TV.. Where the bloddy hell is the TV tuner.. Come On.

Ballmer 0/10, See me after class.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Correction: the xbox 360 isn't JUST a gaming console. ALso, Vampyrbyte, damn right you are. As for entertainment centers and Blu-ray, it goes hand in hand, there's just no getting around that.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I've recently started using the streaming Netflix feature on my PS3. I must say that the quality is pretty good visually (sound is still a bit muffled).

PS3 is by far a better entertainment center than XBox 360. The Blu-Ray, media center look up, streaming services make it pretty solid.

Not to mention it looks (old version) like an entertainment center piece.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The 360 can do many things, but it can't quite do them all right.
Sure I use it to stream my media to the lounge and it plays back perfectly with no problems but that's about as far as it can go.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Well one day the studios will cave in and offer higher bitrate downloads and blu ray will be pointless. Until then there is always ripping it to your hard drive and watching on the Xbox through that.[/citation]

There will always be a place for physical media.Even if it boils down to something as primal as actually being able to physically hold and feel what you buy. Digital purchasing is empty. You get the product but not the experience. Think back to when you were really hyped about buying some game.

You waited at the store, Display case in hand, you exchanged crap-talk with the cashier even though all you really wanted them to do was get on with it.
You casually walked back through town and rushed home, while careful not to forget the milk and that other thing you already forgot.
When you got home, you tore off that plastic wrapping, breathing in the scent of "new game case" plastic. You savour the look of the shiny brand new, un-tarnished disc as you place it in the Playstation. You hear those same tones you hear every day, but today they are more special. And there you have it, the intro to Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. And you literally are beside yourself with excitement.

Compare this to a digital download. You buy it, you wait 2 hours and through 4 retrys for it to finally download and install. You boot the game, you play it.

For anyone who isnt a raging nerd who gets a hard-on for DVD's and instruction manuals think of it like this.

Digital downloads are like Masturbation, it does the trick on a day to day basis. But honestly you are merely simulating the full physical media that is.. You get the picture.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"You go to your average 15-year-old boy, and he will say 'I'll take an Xbox,'" he said. "I want that average 15-year-old girl as excited about the Kinect, and we haven't done as good a job drawing in that broader set of demographics."

the AVERAGE 15 yr old doesn't get $300 to burn, typically they have to work for it, an average 15 yr old girl isn't interested the slightest in video games or watching tv. the only reason they want a smart phone is so they can text, take, send, share pictures while talking to their bff's about justin beiber while spending $300 they made from babysitting at the mall on jeans and other clothes.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]"You go to your average 15-year-old boy, and he will say 'I'll take an Xbox,'" he said. "I want that average 15-year-old girl as excited about the Kinect, and we haven't done as good a job drawing in that broader set of demographics." the AVERAGE 15 yr old doesn't get $300 to burn, typically they have to work for it, an average 15 yr old girl isn't interested the slightest in video games or watching tv. the only reason they want a smart phone is so they can text, take, send, share pictures while talking to their bff's about justin beiber while spending $300 they made from babysitting at the mall on jeans and other clothes.[/citation]
Actually, I think the 15 year old boy would say "I'll take the 15 year old girl"...

But on a more serious note, Disk + Storage capacity is beginning to limit the 360's gaming features majorly let alone anything else.

Say you have your full set of games installed. Drive full.

Say you buy movies from the online services they are offering. Drive full + Slow/Failed downloads.

Say you want to buy a disk due to your full drives. NO BLU-RAY DRIVE.

Downloading games is basically, Game for $100 with nothing to hold in your hand, keep on your shelf, resell, etc, Vs Game for $100 with HARD COPY, Fancy case, Fancy book and Collectors/ Limited editions available for a bit more money... What would you chose?

And on top of that, With the state of internet connections around the world, More than half the time it is QUICKER to go out, Buy the PHYSICAL DISK and come home than it is to DOWNLOAD the game.

Digital purchases are only really beneficial to those with INCREDIBLY fast internet connections, And even then only if they are substantially cheaper than buying the Physical Disk.

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
My XBOX 360 is a gaming console...

My modded XBOX I bought in 2002 is an entertainment system. Thanks to the modding community out there who knows more then Microsoft. I still use that system today!

Get a clue Ballmer...

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Vampyrbyte[/nom]This man. This man has my internets.Honestly. It might make a good living room family entertainment centre if this is 1999. However this is 2011, we want Blu-Ray. We want 2TB HDD's. We Want a web browser. We don't want to preface every instruction with the word "Xbox". We don't want to wave our arms around like an idiot. We want choice, We want Entertainment.If the Xbox is a place to watch TV.. Where the bloddy hell is the TV tuner.. Come On.Ballmer 0/10, See me after class.[/citation]

So you want a computer? The chances are that computer is going to run Windows. He still wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.