Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK Gang, how do you spell SMP? I found my friendly local computer store had a close-out on Tyan Tiger MP boards, and I just happened to have a couple of XP1700+ matched chips. I couldn't resist and now have my first MP machine! The only thing that bummed me was I had to go buy some registered DDR... I had read an article that it would work on standard DDR (which I had) but no boot, till I got the good stuff. The ECC mode seems to only slow the memory a bit, so I've been running it in ECC mode and it sure seems to be a stable setup!

SETI Driver automatically starts two processes, one on each CPU, both running about as fast as an XP1700+ single processor, so it really pumps out the work units!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Scout on 12/25/02 01:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You bastige.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heh.

It's sorta like bastard...

and it was meant jokingly. As in: "you lucky bastard" :smile:

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yup... that's what I thought! I think I'm gonna have to switch to Intel though. I've blown the breaker twice now down here in the garage with all these Athlons!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

svol

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
LOL... I hope your not serious about that.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually I am... we first blew the circuit when we had our outdoor Christmas lights plugged in there. Switched that, but then found that we have one of our Microwave ovens on the same 15 amp circuit. When that's running with everything else, it blew a second time. Most of the time it's OK though.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

svol

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
LOL... I was talking about your change from AMD to Intel: they both use the same amount of power.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you're switching, you wanna send me some of them AMD systems? :smile:

Maybe it wouldn't take me 8 bloody days plus to do a render...

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh... Yeah, I don't think I'd change... However I do run a nice P4 1.6a overclocked to 2.13 and I like it very much. I have it on a SiS 645DX mobo... works pretty good. But not as good as my Athlons!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3d stuff. You set up your wireframe model, apply all the textures, set the lighting etc, and then you actually make a picture. The rendering is what takes so long.

Your 3d card renders your in game scene. It takes all the polygons and converts it into the picture you see. High precision renders that artists do are all cpu calculated though.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Gotcha... I've heard that MP's are really good at that sort of work. Unfortunately, I don't do any! Oh well... The rig is fun to play with and the only burp has been I had to replace the battery. It came with the jumper on the "Clear CMOS" pins and I think that drained the battery.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

silverpig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bet it'd be fun.

My box (1.6 GHz XP) has been doing this single frame render for 11 bloody days already and it's still not done.

Extra cpus and extra boxes will come in VERY handy when I do some more actual animation.

lhgpoobaa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And why arnt you running DUAL cure for cancer tasks on the SMP system?? HUH HUH HUH?

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know... I know... I feel guilty enough as it is!!! But I'm really trying to catch Red Wings One and then it seems like bertvand has quit, soooooo that means 4th place is within reach!!! ... THEN, I'll switch back to UD!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

lhgpoobaa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good boy... UD needs your dualies :smile:

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

svol

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
And our UD THG teams needs your score PooBaa!

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nooooo
[rogue independent militant cruncher]
my 1833mhz of goodness is for my use only... and UD of course :)