Basic Programming Presentation for an Intro Computer Class

cwb50

Estimable
May 22, 2014
Not sure where this would go or if there is even a place for this on these forums:

I am in an Introductory Computer Class at a Pharmacy School (so the standards are small, I know more than my teacher lol, but that doesn't matter because my standards are high for myself).

The class focuses on three things: basic computer stuff, internet, and social media so I thought it would be cool to have a part in my presentation where I ask on social media questions for my presentation.

So my request: name me what you think are the basic intro programming languages. I would like to have 3 bases covered: webpage programming, game making, and general application (as in stuff like Paint, MSWord, File sorting, etc). It'd be nice to keep the presentation limited to 3 Languages but I can mention others and not expand on them.

Solution

Understandably so, since it's a markup language and not a programming language. It doesn't contain any logic, it just describes the semantic layout of a document.

cwb50, if you want to talk about programming for the web then you should cover JavaScript. If it doesn't need to be strictly programming-related then HTML is fine of course, but much less interesting. If you want to make people cry and beg you to stop, talk about Cascading Style Sheets :)

Dat_Robot

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
For the Web design you can talk of HTML

For game making you can talk of Direct3D (These arent programming language...)

For application making you can talk of C++ (Java is more easy but C++ is used in Windows )

cwb50

Estimable
May 22, 2014

What do you mean when you say they aren't programming language?

cwb50

Estimable
May 22, 2014

So it is more a program than a language? It would still fall under the category yeah?

cwb50

Estimable
May 22, 2014

Okay so sort of the basis is knowing C++, then Direct3D will fall into place, and I guess all that will make html easier? Or maybe html is just really easy?

cwb50

Estimable
May 22, 2014

Hm, interesting. So my presentation could be like two different worlds maybe?

1. Web Based Programs = html (Easiest)
2. a. General Application = C++ (Moderate)
b. More demanding applications = Direct3D (Hardest)

randomizer

Distinguished

Understandably so, since it's a markup language and not a programming language. It doesn't contain any logic, it just describes the semantic layout of a document.

cwb50, if you want to talk about programming for the web then you should cover JavaScript. If it doesn't need to be strictly programming-related then HTML is fine of course, but much less interesting. If you want to make people cry and beg you to stop, talk about Cascading Style Sheets :)

Solution
G

Python (would cover all three bases) - plus is an easy language to get into.
JavaScript (would also cover two of the three bases) - web development, game making, but unfortunately no general application unless used with a host platform, also its pretty easy to get into.
and finally I would suggest (Java) - covers all of them.