Bass heavy headphones, max 100 USD

sharal1

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
Heya guys, I am looking for bass heavy (which can produce even very low frequencies) headphone with good sound quality for about 100 usd (80eur). I want it to be about same sound quality as my Logitech Z4 speakers, which I use. I need it to be compatible with smartphone. I would like one with microphone, but it isnt a must.

Considering some reviews I have seen, my favorites are Razer Kraken which has great bass and impressive design and Creative Aurvana Live which should sound great.

I want to hear your tips and opinions, thanks :)

Solution
about cell phone headphone jack outputs
There is no chart to show here, just a number that the Audio Precision gives us. In our test data, the most powerful phone was the iPhone 5, at 32.46 mW of power. Next is the Nexus 5 at 22.24 mW, though we can’t drive it that high. Then the Note 3 at 11.81 mW and finally the Galaxy S4 at 3.895 mW. Doubling the power, from 4 mW to 8 mW, produces a 3 dB increase in volume level. 3 dB is the smallest change in volume levels we can easily hear. So even though the iPhone 5 produces 32 mW vs. 4 mW, that is only a 9 dB difference in volume. 10 dB is doubling the volume, so it isn’t even twice as loud. If you have demanding headphones, you will want as much power as you can get.

those headphones...
i'm not sure what the prices will be like in europe, but the audiotechnica ath-m50s can be found for $100 here in the states.

great sound for the money, good low bass without being a cannon, decent highs for having as much bass as it does, a v-shape (more highs and bass than mids) fun sound profile, warm sound signature, heavy duty construction and super long heavy duty cable.

the only negatives are that it has a rather small soundstage even for closed headphones and the earcups are a bit on the small size so will fit small and medium sized ears but not large ears.

i personally own a pair... and have owned them for 3-4 years now. they still look almost brand new considering they were used almost every day. i have a picture of them in my signature under "build" in case you wanted to see.

--

the aurvana live's get good reviews. i've heard that they me a bit more bassy than the m50s and most certainly have a larger soundstage however they arent going to have the build quality or clarity the m50s do.

not sure how the razer compares but most of them are overpriced junk.

--

you may want to read a few "bassiest headphone under 100" threads over at headfi forums. lots of recommendations on such things over there to consider.

however, keep in mind that being too bassy can also mean that it starts to muddy up the highs and mids.

sharal1

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
Thanks very much for your replies. Now Im browsing forums and I have find Denon AH-D1100 for really great price. According to reviews, it should be great headphones with strong bass. But its input is 1300mW. Im not sure if smartphone can handle it without an amp. How much can average android phone handle? Thanks very much ^^

about cell phone headphone jack outputs
There is no chart to show here, just a number that the Audio Precision gives us. In our test data, the most powerful phone was the iPhone 5, at 32.46 mW of power. Next is the Nexus 5 at 22.24 mW, though we can’t drive it that high. Then the Note 3 at 11.81 mW and finally the Galaxy S4 at 3.895 mW. Doubling the power, from 4 mW to 8 mW, produces a 3 dB increase in volume level. 3 dB is the smallest change in volume levels we can easily hear. So even though the iPhone 5 produces 32 mW vs. 4 mW, that is only a 9 dB difference in volume. 10 dB is doubling the volume, so it isn’t even twice as loud. If you have demanding headphones, you will want as much power as you can get.

those headphones are 32ohm with 103mw/db sensitivity so a normal cellphone should be able to power them fine however a portable amp such as a fiio e6 may give them some more volume.

the 1300mw number you quoted is the "maximum" amount of power they will handle before they fail. you do not want to get anywhere close to this number as it has little to do with your needs. a "minimum" mw would be more applicable however really isnt needed. they should work with your phone but i'm not sure what volume levels they will get up to. if you want "more" from them then get a cheap $30 amp.
Specifications
n Type: Dynamic type
n Drive units: Ø 50 mm
Neodymium magnet
n Input impedance: 32 Ω
n Sensitivity: 101 dB/mW
n Maximum input: 1,300 mW
n Playback frequency: 5 – 37,000 Hz
(n Weight: 189 g (not including cable
n Cable length: 1.3 m OFC cable
n Plug: Ø 3.5 mm gold-plated stereo mini plug
.z For improvement purposes, specifications and design are subject to change

keep in mind that these may be more "bass cannon" headphones which means mids and highs may be muddy or less apparent. when you start pushing bass into those levels everything else starts taking a hit for quality.

Solution

sharal1

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I was sure to buy Denon AH-D1100 but one guy told me that 101dB is really low to use it with a phone. Im gonna use them with my PC and smartphone. From your answer I understand that max input doesnt really matter and impedance is something like elecric resistance (?) and it should be low to be able to use it with a smartphone. So I would like to get headphones with higher dB/mW rate, since I dont have any amp for my smartphone.

ATH-M50 is too expensive in my country, its about 130 euros (175 USD). Even if I could afford it, Im not willing to spend so much on a headphones. ATH-T500 are much cheaper and those may be good too, Im not sure.

I would like to get really bass heavy headphones. At the moment I am using cheap Sony Ericsson MH650 in-ear heapdhones and if I push the bass up in equalizer, then it really is "bass cannon". These are very bassy or I dont understand what "bass cannon" means, because for me it really sounds bassy. Overall sound quality is not that bad too. However those are really uncomfortable and cant play very low bass and some other tones correctly. Thats why Im looking for over-ear/on-ear headphones. How does the in-ear and closed over-ear headphones compare in sound quality and bass btw?

And the last question is, how much sensitivity is required to be able to use it on smartphone? From your post, Im not sure how does it compare. Is 110dB almost twice as loud as 101dB?

I am sorry if I misunderstood you somehow, thanks for help ^^

db/mw is efficiency. basically the higher this number the easier are the cans are to drive. 103db/mw isnt bad efficiency considering my cans are only 99db/mw. technically your cans use the power they are given more efficiently than mine do.

the ohm rating is resistance. generally low ohm headphones work fine on portable while higher ohm do not work so well. a 32ohm resistance also isnt that bad considering my cans are 38ohm. technically your cans should be easier to drive than mine are.

my 99db/mw 38ohm cans work perfectly fine with my smartphone, laptop, ipod and most other portable devices so i do not see an issue with the d1100 working.

likely you do not *need* an amplifier to get them to work with your portables. one might make them sound just a tad better but i'd be willing to say they should work fine without as well.

101db in terms of volume not sensitivity would be the same volume as a bulldozer makes or listening to a rock band inside a train car. this is more than loud enough and you will never get close to this level unless you want to damage your hearing.