Batch Install Applications

cto520

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
I need to deploy about 35 applicaiton setup files (.exe, .msi) from my local file server to a Windows computer with an new OS install (and will have to do this several times).

Is there a way I can write a quick script to fire the install files one at a time until all done? I'll have to manually set the install up, then fire to the next install after finished.

Solution
First, those programs need to support untended setup, you need to check over all of them for specific switches you can use in a script as many would need options like license keys or other things set during setup. That would involve editing some sort of answer file for them before you can run the setup without interaction. There are also package builders that can help, you'd have to basically run the steps of the program, it records what it does and it packages it up in a separate installation file for you with all the settings already in it. Then you need to write a script to run those in order, one at a time and make sure that there are no errors before you go to next one, or at least you get a log of what installed and what did...

das_stig

Distinguished
Most exe's and MSI files have switches that give you automated quiet options.

Run the exe or msi with /? or /help switch.

Failing that, think about using an MSI packager that records how you do a manual install, and then creates what is called a transformation script that feeds and you key presses and mouse clicks to the app to automate things.

First, those programs need to support untended setup, you need to check over all of them for specific switches you can use in a script as many would need options like license keys or other things set during setup. That would involve editing some sort of answer file for them before you can run the setup without interaction. There are also package builders that can help, you'd have to basically run the steps of the program, it records what it does and it packages it up in a separate installation file for you with all the settings already in it. Then you need to write a script to run those in order, one at a time and make sure that there are no errors before you go to next one, or at least you get a log of what installed and what did not.

There is no quick or easy solution here, it takes a long time to learn enough to make things run quick and easy LOL You can do some web searches for program setup scripts for examples.

Another option is to build one system, install all the programs on it, then run sysprep and clone that one system, if they are all identical that will work, but it's less flexible and requires knowing how to work with sysprep.

Solution